hole in tranny - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 11:13 PM
longview1

hole in tranny

hello all, [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
I am a new user here, been reading posts for awhile and have learned alot just reading. I have a problem.
I bought a 78 f150 with 360 locker rear end (not sure whaT)
not ure what kind of trasnny or transfer case i got eihter.
But ive had it for about a month and just yesterday i was drivin up the road in 3rd (oh ya its a 4spmanual) and i lost power [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] so i put clutch in revved er up and put back in 3rd and all was fine. WEnt to work this morning and came back home without problems. Went back out later and was coming back and same thing happennd. Then i dorve around and it did in 2nd and first after about 15-20 secs and one time i heard a cling and it did die once or twice..... i finally got back home and left it running while i went inside for flash light and it died so i went to start up agaiun but wouldnt and havent since.. I looked at where the tranny meets the block (the circle part) and right aqlong the bottom dead center theres a hole about the size of a dime (tiny bit smaller) is all jaggedy along edge looks like something shot straight out thats the only thing ive notcied sorry bout the long story and any help or suggestions is muchly appreciated, [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
thanks.

(oh yes manual locking hubs as well)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 06:04 AM

Re: hole in tranny

sounds like the clutch blew apart and put a few holes in the bellhousing. a good clutch usually goes for about $140 plus you need to have the flywheel resurfaced. to do it you need to pull the trans down or back really far, or pull the motor out enough to change it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 01:51 PM
longview1

hmmm sounds fair . THannks Burnd for the advice.
So i guess that would be the cause of the ol girl not firing up too? because it wont start now [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
anyway thanx again gonna go screw round for a bit .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 01:54 PM

If'n it took some teeth off the flywheel, the starter wouldn't be turning anything ... but other than that - it oughtta start, ought'nt it?

Thoughta sumthin else, too - though I dunno if Ford ever used these (I've seen em on other makes) - but is there a position sensor down there on the bellhousing that coulda gotten obliterated?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 04:11 PM

Busted clutch could have everything all bound up.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 05:58 PM
longview1

thanx everyone
well i thnk the hole has been there and it is not the clutch...... thinking its the fuel pump had my moms boyfriend and neighbor were lookin at it the fuel is not being pumped to the carb it drains from the filter right away and is not filling up so gettin new fuel pump and well check that out almiost had her fired but wouldnt go ,,,,, so ill update after i get home from work [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 06:08 PM

If you wanted to see if it was a fuel problem why dont you just buy a can of starting fluid they only cost like 99 cents
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 01:24 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track now, longview, but look at 80Bronco's advice on starting fluid before buying a bunch of parts.

Now you know...someone blew the clutch plate in the past though!!! I did that once while racing. Scared the [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] out of me.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 04:15 PM
longview1

well got new fuel pump in and made sure lots of fuel in tank put gas in carb and tried to fire... would run for bout 5 sewconds tehn cut out,,,,tried plenty of times same thing the fuel filters are all clean an dnot clogged took off line from filter to carb not clogged.. e then she started put er backin and fired er up it ran but then idled ****ty took her round the block but when put clutch would have to give it gas or she;d choke got back to house let it idle (roughly) shut er off tapped firmly on the carb housing fired back up anfd shes been running nice since so thinkin the float is sticking or osmething...... got a new minor problem need some welding one of the brackets holding the transfer case to frame is snapped gotta get er welded soooooooon... thanks all
peace [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 08:25 PM

Translation

Well I got the new fuel pump in and I made sure there was lots of fuel in the tank. I put gas in carb and it tried to fire... would run for about 5 seconds then cut out.... tried plenty of times, same thing, the fuel filters are all clean and not clogged. Took off the line from filter to carb, not clogged.. She then started. Put her back in and fired her up. It ran but then idled ****ty. Took her round the block but when I pushed (put) the clutch I would have to give it gas or she'd choke. I got back to house, let it idle (roughly) shut her off, tapped firmly on the carb housing, fired her back up and shes been running nice since; so I'm thinkin the float is sticking or something...... Also got a new minor problem need some welding one of the brackets holding the transfer case to frame. It is snapped. Gotta get her welded soooooooon... thanks all
peace [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

Sorry man. That was some hard reading. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode