shackel flip - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

shackel flip

Hey If any of you guys have done the rear shacle flip I would like it if you could take a pic of the finished product for me...if it isnt to muck trouble I would love to see a pic of it just sitting on the ground with the vehicle weight on it and the more important pic of it just before the tire leaves the ground like you were going to pull the bolt out so I can see the angle that every thing is at for the install....I am kind of worried about doing this and not getting everything lined up right and messing everything up and then having to buy springs anyway after I have already put a few new holes int the frame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 07:04 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: shackel flip

like I've said before, if you pull the bracket that I used to do my flip, you can set yours up exactly like mine because I aligned the rear top hole in the new bracket with the same from the old hanger on the frame. my alignment is perfect as far as I'm concerned, so follow in my footsteps and you cant screw up. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 07:25 PM
Old Hand

My only question is what becomes of the springs? I read they run almost flat after the flip. I guess that would depend on how much lift the spring hangers you got provided. What if you bought lift springs and don't have blocks that you can take out to compensate for the added lift? Throw the stockers back in there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 08:10 PM

All I can say is that I love mine. It Flexes like mad and it's cheap! It's about as much bang as you'll get for your buck. Only do it though if it is for wheelin only. It doesn't offer the same stability as stock for towing. check out this link: rear shackle flip
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 08:22 PM
Shilo

The link Norm posted is all you need. Line up the shackle pivot with the forward set of old mounting holes and you can't screw up. There's a pic on that link, it's worth a thousand words.

And yes, the stock springs will fatigue over time. I've been thru 2 main leafs on the right rear. I still recommend the flip, tho, it's the most bang for the buck. I've nearly got the fatigue issue licked by swapping in an additional spring that's nearly as long as the main leaf, thus providing more support for that leaf.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Well Big norm now you got me scared I plan on towing with this rig ( a 5000 pound travel trailer and if it wont allow me to do that with the shackle flip what is my best option. I have to be able to tow with this thing.....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 08:10 AM
Shilo

If towing is important you might actually consider the kit from Sky Manufacturing (do a web search), their hangers are very beefy but you're still gonna have to reinforce the stock shackle, trust me.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Ok so what am i really worried about here with the shackle flip and towing.Is it going to be handling , or strength of the components that I need to worry about and will it be any different with a block lift/ helper spring/ full spring pack....What should I do to make this a capable tow rig If I have to wait until I get more money then I will have to wait.I have to do this right the first time..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 09:46 AM

I wouldn't do it if you are going to tow that much weight. Save your penny's for some lift leafs or try an add a leaf.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 04:37 PM

I think you've decided to do something else but here's some pix for anyone else who might be interested in doing this. NORM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 993436-IM000048.jpg (78.9 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode