Tires and skid plate - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2003, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Tires and skid plate

Has anyone used wheel spacers to maintain steering radius and to prevent rubbing on radius arms when going to larger tires? I recently went to 35x12.5 on 15X10 rims with 3 and 3/4 inch backspacing. I carefully picked the rims to have the most backspacing (without going custom or to pricey). Going from rims with 4 inch backspacing made a difference between rubbing and not with my 33's I have seen 1/4 inch spacers available online. I believe they could make the difference now that I'm running the 35's.

I have a 1990 w/Big Dick 6 inch coils, drop down brackets, and Rancho Extended radius arms (old style). I'm running 6 inch American springs in the back. I did a little geometry and found that when I pushed the radius arms down 2 more inches than the radius arms where made for, I swung the tire center back about 1/4 of an inch. This I adjusted by moving the bushing mount back a 1/4 of an inch with a spacer in the radius arm. It decreased the rub on the back of the front fenders. I plan on trimming the fenders front and rear to prevent rubbing completely.

I plan to skid plate the gas tank. Anyone tried to fit an extra stock skid over the existing one to toughen it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2003, 07:06 PM

Re: Tires and skid plate

if your tries rub on the radius arm. let it, its not going to hurt it unless you hold it there. if you dont want them to rub period, adjust the steering stops on the knuckle so they dont hit.
on the gas tank skid plate do a search, JUICE had a very informative post about it a month or so back. i have a 1/4 plate one that goes around the whole tank almost done.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2003, 09:41 PM

So you are saying that you are running a 6 in lift with 35s and they are rubbing on the fenders and the radius arm.. well the radius arms I wouldnt worry about as said before. But if you are rubbing the front fenders at 6in of lift that would seem very odd to me since most of us on this board that are running 35 in tires run less than six ins of lift with no fender rub... OF COURSE WE DONT KONW IF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT A BRONCO OR A JEEP CHERROKE OR A SUZUKI SAMARI BECAUSE YOUR BIO ISNT FILLED OUT [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2003, 10:31 PM

I did do a post not long ago concerning 3/16" skid over existing stock skid, and it turned out as I wanted. Very happy with it.

As to rubbing, what tires did you say you are running? I know they are 35's, so are mine. I run 3.75 BS on 15 x 8 wheels with Rancho 4" lift (newer lift, about 4 years ago with "bent" radius arms), and guess what? No rub on back of wheelwell and really no rub on R-Arm. when the tires were brand new, when I fully turned the wheel in off-road conditions I would rub ever so slightly on the arms. And yes, trust me, it sees the trails and is set up proper for off-road use. with a 6" lift, as mentioned, I don't understand how you are having the back of fender problem.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

The tires have rubbed on the radius arms, three sets, three different places now. I adjusted the stops for a minimal amount of rub. The rear fender rub was helped greatly by the spacer in front of the radius arm front bushing. I think they mounted the arms slightly too far back (welded to frame)and installed aftermarket urethane bushings which seem to be slightly smaller. I am now running Super Sport steel belted radials from Walmart. At $118 per tire before certs, I like them. I will get to the bio, new to this. Pizza here now, beer, later must go. Not another sheep in a ............. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

The tires have rubbed on the radius arms, three sets, three different places now. I adjusted the stops for a minimal amount of rub. The rear fender rub was helped greatly by the spacer in front of the radius arm front bushing. I think they mounted the arms slightly too far back (welded to frame)and installed aftermarket urethane bushings which seem to be slightly smaller. I am now running Super Sport steel belted radials from Walmart. At $118 per tire before certs, I like them. I will get to the bio, new to this. Pizza here now, beer, later must go. Not another sheep in a ............. Search was not working.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 08:06 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I have a 1990 w/Big Dick 6 inch

[/ QUOTE ] Wow is that custom? lol [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Yes, at least my wife thinks that's big.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 01:56 PM

Yea, I think you may be right on the placement of the radius arms. I was thinking that as I read your post.
What year truck is it? Can you take a pic, or get a measurement of your front...rear of 35" tire to back part of front wheelwell, and front of tire to bumper?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 02:00 PM

sorry about another post here, saw your search not working...so...concerning the skidplate, just click on my superford link at the bottom here, once open go to the bottom, believe under tech stuff I have a dedicated section for skidplate writeup/pics. Let me know if ya can't find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode