4x4 WON'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 09:25 PM
rustyolred27

4x4 WON\'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It happened today. My 4 wheel drive quit working. I was off the road in a fairly muddy spot. I locked the hubs and shifted the t-case into 4-hi. No action from the front wheels. I then placed it into 4-lo, still nothing. I eventually got unstuck using just 2wd. I hear a little popping coming from the front-end but nothing major. The front driveshaft turns so I'm thinking that it is not t-case related. What am i looking at? The truck has a traction aid in the front axle but I do not know 4 sure which kind. Busted hubs? Broken axle shaft? Broken locker? or busted R&P gears? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 09:46 PM

Re: 4x4 WON\'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you tell us? look at the front axles 3 ujoints. are they all there and intact? unlock the hubs and put it in 4wd and then have somebody loo to see if the front axleshafts turn while you slowly move the truck. if they dont its internal. if they do turn check the hubs better. hubs may also appear to work when there is no load on them, but fail when strain is put on them.
good luck on the search
Zach
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 01:16 PM

It's just a matter of tracing the power along the driveline, you're doing the right thing. So, you put the Tcase in 4WD high or low, and the driveshaft turns (has power to it) right? The next thing in line is the housing (carrier, gears, etc), then the axle shafts out to the ends where the ujoints and outer shaft are and then finally the manual hubs.

If there was a real problem in the housing, you would probably hear some kind of metal grinding, and most likely some kind of pop or bang. It is unlikely you put it in gear and then the gears just failed. Like Burned said, check those outer axle ujoints next. If you put it in 4WD and leave the hubs unlocked you should be able to see those turn. I also think you can reach in there and try to manually turn them, and they shouldn't turn.

If all they appears normal, then your last link is the hub and of course the manual hub dial themselves. It is pretty easy to pull these off, inspect them and the internal hub pieces to make sure the engagement action is happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 09:48 PM
rustyolred27

well guys i checked the ujoints next and they were all good. the hubs however were another story. the driver side had a few teeth missing from the manual hub splines, it still worked a little..........the passenger side on the other hand was totally grenaded. took the allen bolts off and then a million little pieces came out. the passenger manual hub is totally busted. one question though, if one side is busted, should the other side not still work? also when i replace these hubs are WARN PREMIUM hubs good? [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 10:21 PM

Yep. Warn Premiums are the best we got to work with according to several sources which I trust. I haven't used them personally yet as I am stubborn and cheap and am determined to work through all my spares first. lol NORM
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2003, 05:21 PM

on both my 4x4's when one was trashed both would not work. i replaced them with warns. now no problems had some trouble getting the drivers side off on the p-up seems the old owner took a hammer to the splins and i had to refile them in order to get the trashed on out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode