OBA intake filter - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

OBA intake filter

Well. Finally got the compressor mounted in my truck after a week of hell being stuck in California for a very UNmerry christmas. Thanks to Rep-T and DozerDan from the rockdawgs site. Now i just have to plumb the intake side of the system. Here is the filter i plan on using till i see a more better one or make a more better one. The fitting and hose are the stock ones that came with the compressor and the filter is from a Ford external trans filter kit that i got when i was workin as a tech for Ford. U guys think it'll flow enough to keep the compressor happy? Should i use a breather element instead? I just used what i had lyin around.

Just remember what my dad told me when i was but a youngen;
"Opinions are like a$$holes, Everyone has one and most of them stink"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 09:51 AM

Re: OBA intake filter

I've seen people use those but I went with a breather element. Personally, I believe you'll get alot more air flow thorough an element. Yorks tend to get Very hot while working so I would use something that gives a little more air flow.

Brian
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 10:42 AM

OOOH! OOOH! Could you send me a picture and a schematic or at least the dementions that you used. I want to mount one on my 86 soon also and I'm going to have to make my own mount unless someone makes one that's affordable. I was thinking of putting mine where the air pump was. I know that 86NHBronc put one there but I haven't seen him here in a few months. He said that his wife had a baby I think. Jeesh! Some peoples priorities. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 12:55 PM

So i guess you survived your trip to Cali, huh?

Norm- he doesnt have A/C, so he's got that idler in there instead. We just made some brackets outta 4x4 angle iron (thanks to dan for the steel) and its gonna bolt up right there in place of the idler. Hopefully he'll even be able to use the same belt!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

No good on the belt. Had to use a 923K6 as teh old smog pump delete belt was a 885k6. Stock is a 910K6. I swapped over to the serp system cuz i kept the motor from my 89. I used some 4x4x6 .25 thick angle iron that i trimmed down on the bottom. I had to space the one side from the bracket to the compressor cuz the compressor is exactly as wide as the bolt spacing on the bracket. Right where the anlge iron "angles" is where the bolts are. I spaced it out so i had to space .75" on the passsenger side. I had to file the holes a little more to get it to stop throwin the belt. The adjustment slots are on the bottom making it a little of a PITA to line up the belt. I'l go grab the digicam and snap a few pics.

I used the stock intake hoses from an EFI 86 Bronco cuz the one from the 89 didn't fit. That made me relocate the coil and i had to cut back the loom a little for the extra lenght in the harness.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 02:43 PM

Grammar Police Strike Again

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
the dementions that you used

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I bet that's true of all of us at some point!

edit/addition: That's some nice work there <font color="blue"> 86convert </font color>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Nice work

Couldn't have done it without the help i had from Rep-T and DozerDan. Well i could have done it but it would have com out like crap. The use of a milling machine made all the difference. Now i have a problem with the clutch slipping once i build some pressure and the fitting that converts from the stock York output to the 1/2 NPT leaks like a SOB. Ahh the pains of doin things urself.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 07:34 PM

Re: Nice work

Thanx. I just pulled my AC so maybe I can try it that way. Could you give me a guestimate on where you drilled the holes? I'm concerned about the belts matching up. Thanx. NORM
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Re: Nice work

Do you have a serp belt or v- belts? I drilled the holes to match the bolt pattern of the york and slotted the bottom holes. I did it this way so if i had to adjust the compressor rearward more than i anticipated the bracket wouldn't rub on the belt.
The only problem with doing it this way is i had to take the compressor off the bracket to make any adjustemts. Once i got it lined up i tighthened it down with lockwashers. I made 1 5/8 inch long slots in the bottom of the bracket but the holes aren't square. The rear hole on the set closer to the top is about 1/2 further back then the lower set. The side holes are 3 inches from the bottom so it doesn't interfere with the lower bolt heads.

Due to the clutch slipping i might have to take it out again to send it back. Still waiting for a response from the guy who sold it to me. If i do I'll get you detailed demensions. The only problem i had was the holes on the side that bolted the compressor the the bracket didn't line up good so i had to file it a little to get it to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode