MT/R - 11,000 mile report - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

MT/R - 11,000 mile report

Hah,
You thought the first thing would be pictures!
Well, they're coming. I Forgot the camera in the shop. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Story:
It was bound to happen.
After loving these MT/R's, and all the traction they afforded on compact snow/ice, ice, as well as the deep "guanch",
I hit a few (OK, several) patches of black ice on the way to the slopes Saturday. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Soooo, all of a sudden, they weren't so fun. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
No, I didn't lose it, but I didn't have a lot of confidence anymore either.
The skiing was fantastic, and they opened the top of the mountain, so I hung around a couple hours more than normal.
Heading for home, the roads were better as the temperature had come up a few degrees.
As I was pulling in the garage, my lights shown on the studded tires, all mounted/balanced and ready to go.
Something grabbed a hold of me and said, "Why in the world aren't those puppies on the rig at this time of the year?"
You guessed it! The MT/R's finally came off, and the studs went on.
After all, I've got em, I may as well use em. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
So what if they're on white wagon wheels, and they're skinny little 235/85/16's, at least I'll be a little safer now. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Diagnosis:
New tread depth - 5/8"
11,000 mile tread depth - 9/16"
Looks like my painstaking efforts on the front end geometry paid off.
All 4 tires were worn very evenly.
The 9/16" measurement was off the right front.
The others were the same. Totally cool! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

The left rear has a couple gashes, but I think I know the trail I got those on.
There was an old exposed 1" dia. wire cable of some sort that I skidded the tire on.
Nothing bad, but the marks are there. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Verdict:
1/16" tread wear in 11,000 miles is PHENOMENAL in my book!
Especially since these tires have worked so well in any condition I've thrown at them.
Goodyear has got a very happy camper here! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'll get the pics up shortly.

Epilogue:
The MT/R's replaced the old style BFG AT's. (same size, 33/12.5/15)
I haven't found 1 instance yet that the MT/R's didn't literally blow the BFG AT's away. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Now that the studs have been on a couple days.....
They are noticably quieter, and have lower rolling resistance.
No doubt the 3" narrower tread width is a big factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 04:24 PM

Re: MT/R - 11,000 mile report

Sounds good WD-40. Now I know why you havn't been on much...lurking at the ski slopes eh?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 08:36 PM

Re: MT/R - 11,000 mile report

You did the best thing in the circumstance. The only thing that will grip at ice IMO is studded snow tires or chains. I'm glad to hear you love the MTR so much as it is currently my new favorite tire and has been for about two weeks! lol. I'm always changing my mind to TSL/SX's, to swampers, to BFG MTs, and back to the Goodyear MTR. I think I'll stay with this choice untill I can afford to buy some (or my loving significant other concurs) [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Take Care! NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Re: MT/R - 11,000 mile report - pics

Well, here's the pics!
(I see you're puting the new digital to good work, <font color="blue">Norm</font color>) [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Showing the 9/16" tread depth at 11,000 miles.

Studded tire - MT/R comparison.
Personally, I'm loving these narrow cookie-cutters for major "gription" on ice. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
They're right at an 1" shorter in diameter than the 33's.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 01:15 AM

[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]Thank you WD40 for such a comprehensive answer to my question! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I think I'm going to get a slightly used set of swampers cheap and put them on some cheap wheels and have them dedicated to boggin' detail; hence I'll probably go with the MT/R's based on their good road manners. Thanks again! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 02:05 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I think I'm going to get a slightly used set of swampers <font color="black"> cheap</font color> and put them on some <font color="black"> cheap</font color> wheels

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm liking the way Peacemaker thinks. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I find it just as challenging to build my rig inexpensive as I do making the modifications. Any idiot can build a rig with a credit card. [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 04:50 PM

Hey Norm, you know how it is - you politic to the wife for 6 months to a year and you finally get financial backing for one modification and then you have to spend the rest of your time scavenging for the rest. listening to you guys is NOT helping my marriage any! [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] Seriously though, "necessity is the mother of invention" and you guys exemplify this. Thanks again! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

P.S. It doesn't help my cause any that my wife makes as much in two days as I make in two weeks! Get to work, Sugar Momma [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I got bumpers to build!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 05:17 PM

Hey just get hte wife in to wheeling and yopu wont have any problemes thats my seceret....She loves it and we leave the kids at home so we can have some good quality time together [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 05:56 PM

I took the wife to the Bloomsburg Jambo last year and she hated it. Her idea of camping is "does the hotel have air conditioning ?" [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
but she still lets me have my trucks and go wheeling so I can't complain. I guess I'll be going to the Indy Jambo this year by myself [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 06:03 PM

I didnt say she liked ruffing it I had to buy a 19 ft travel trailer with a/c and a ducted furnance , refrigarator and all the comforts of home there isnt anywhere around here like moab where I can do a 3 day trip so the trailer and paragon are fine with me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode