Axle question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Axle question

OK I amn tring to figure out what spline I probably have on my rear axles with out pullin them. I think all ford 9 in came from the factory with a 31 spline can anyone confirm (steve83) or am I crazy. might be buying a used 9 in with 4.11 and detroit but has 31 spline hell if I am lower than that I could just buy the new axles..... know it makes me wish hed had the 35 spline and the price was right.... oh well maybe Il get luck not have ot buy the axles and still get the rear I want for about $400 or $500 [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 01:26 PM

Re: Axle question

Cars came with either a tapered 28 or a straight 28 spline. Most all of them are small axle versions. Most all of the trucks came with the 31 spline versions.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 01:38 PM

I'm reasonably sure that Ford 9's came with either 28 OR 31 spline axles ... I'd bet that they only used 31's on their trucks, the 28's were probably for cars. And yes, 35's are available, but I dont know that they came from the factory that way.
The 9" I recently rebuilt came from an '81 F150 & had 31 spline axles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

well sdounds like it is a good bet mine has the 31 spline axles. I still not sure about buying it of of the net from some one i dont know but if the price is right I might take the risk
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 01:56 PM
Shilo

Your Bronco will have 31 splines. The 28s are pathetically weak. I've found a truck or two w/28 splines, but it was older (early '70s) F100s and 150s. That's not to say Ford didn't use 28 spline units later, 'cause I'm sure they did, even in trucks.

Once you've pulled one of each spline count, you can tell right away. The bolts are smaller, many things are noticeably different on the outside. I don't remember the specifics, but when I was in the process of removing a 28 spline unit I could tell something was amiss before I even had the axle out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode