Replacing the 'coffee can' - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Replacing the \'coffee can\'

Well folks - apparently the price we pay for new icons is that the search function is busted!! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Spent my weekend tearing apart the '84 parts truck, & I'm wondering about the rusted out 'coffee can' on the right fenderwell - some sort of vacuum cannister, I believe. Is this baby a problem to get replaced ... what does it do ... what the heck is it called?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 09:14 AM
Shilo

Re: Replacing the \'coffee can\'

It's just called a vac reservoir, or vac canister as you said. Replacing involves unbolting from inner fender, removing lines by hand, and reversing procedure!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Okay, okay - ask a stupid question ...
I s'pose what I shoulda asked is: Am I gonna have a hard time locating a replacement cannister? Also, is this thing just another part of the emissions system, or is it required for the engine to run right!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 11:52 AM

No,Yes,Yes.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank You, thank you, thank you

I'll try to keep the [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] questions to a minimum !!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 02:05 PM
Shilo

In theory it's req'd for the motor to run right but I've got mine hooked up all hokie-fied and all is well. I tried to turn the two lines into one but it doesn't work - the coffee can appears to have some sort of internal check valve. Havack? Any details on this?

I think it mostly provides vac for the EGR and thermactor solenoids, I've only got the EGR solenoid remaining [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, I've been meaning to sort out the connection to the can but have yet to make the time......
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 06:20 PM
Mud in my Veins

Yes, it has check valves built into the plastic fitting and yes it only serves the EGR & thermactor systems. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Okay guys, I promise I'll do the research once the search function comes back online .... but until then, maybe I can squeeze a little more info out of ya'll ....
I don't have any emissions tests to pass, so obviously I'd like to eliminate all the emmisions [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] I possibly can .... I know it proves my screen-name wrong, but I don't know diddly 'bout this stuff (you're shocked & surprised, I'm sure! [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] )
Is anyone willing to share a little knowledge here & help me determine what needs to stay & what needs to go on this 351w I'm about'ta swap in!?? The last time I tore this deep into an engine compartment, the only vacuum line I remember was the vacuum advance for the distributor .... oh yeah, and the pcv valve.
Thanks! [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 09:57 PM

Don't mean to come across bad but if you will spend just have of the time it will take you to figure out what to remove and then to remove it, you can learn what you need to know about the Self-tuning equipment you so quickly want to remove. Without the stuff you might as well give up any FI thoughts and be prepared to spend your days tuning the engine instead of driving it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 11:09 PM
Shilo

"Without the stuff you might as well give up any FI thoughts and be prepared to spend your days tuning the engine instead of driving it."

I'm not so sure about that. At least for EEC-IV speed density, none of the thermactor stuff is req'd. The only thing you'll notice is that it trips plenty of codes when it doesn't see those solenoids. I don't even think my EGR is opening right now, and I'll admit I haven't calculated mileage (never do, what's the point when it's 11-13??) I haven't seen noticeable increase in fuel consumption (I realize the EGR is supposed to do other things too).

Basically the EFI will run *great* without all of that stuff, and you'll never know it's not there unless you pull codes.

Now if your EGR is staying OPEN, that's a whole different matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode