Its been done before - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 08:20 PM
Biggie_Truck

Its been done before

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like the D44 up front is a min. Whats the stock rear axle and can it handle the 38s? Ford 9in? The actual tire size when I measured it was 37" od. Maybe because there on 12" classic IIs. Any way that should help us out here.

Definite plans so far: Headers, K+N, Dual exhaust w/ flowmaster, crome nerfs, supercharger (Magna or Eaton M112 Custom), Lift ????In, 39.5 claws.

Oh, my commute: about 10 min all back roads. My current daily is a 99 Toyota Landcruiser: True Dual exhaust, Custom made headers, Custom Installed Eaton M112, 3In Body Lift, 4In rear springs (National), Lowered Front Axle with custom ball joint spacers for a 4In front lift. 36" superswampers with 6in axle extentions. The truck was good but a weak IFS. I had to do everything the hard way because there was very little availible in aftermarket stuff. Vehicle is for sale now. The Claws were next but now my Bronco will be ridin high! The Ford IFS seems alot beefier to handle the claws.

Lift Laws: Pennsy is 27in and 29in from original bumper brackets. Ill just reweld them lower like before.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 08:36 PM

Re: Its been done before

try hittign the reply button instead of a new post.
my old rear axle couldnt handle 36's.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 08:58 PM

Re: Its been done before

Hey just to let you know we wernt tring to put you down we just get newwbies on here all the time who want to go straight up to 44s and a 12 in lift and dont know what is involved or the down falls looks like your current daily driver is pretty well set up. I dont plan on going above a 4in lift and 2 in body lift running 35 in tires. will mostly be rock crawling at www.paragonap.com and should do fine for a long time once I get my lockers and gears. Good luck with your palns I am sure everyone on this board can give lots of advice on helping you with your plans but it may not always be the advice you want
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 10:41 PM

Re: rear axle woes

I dont expect the 9" rear to hold up very long to those 39's. (And you have the 8.8, not the 9") I opted for 35's on my truck cause i was afraid the 37's would be too much for the 8.8, and as burned said, his 8.8 grenaded due to 36*14.5s, so i guess it was a good plan by me!
Dont expect to get off easy on this one- youre gonna have to swap out both axles if you want to run those tires without constant breakage.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 10:49 PM
froggy

I have 38's on my 8.8 , its just how much you beat it is all. But if so do like what burned did and get a sterling 10.25 , thatll hold to the pressure.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 11:06 AM

If you are going to go big you might as well buy axles first. Why don't you put a 6" on the Bronco and swap out the tires from the land cruiser. That would be the economical way to do it. 36's are cool on Broncos man! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Even though I want to risk the 37" Goodyear MTRs! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Now that I have a camera I'll have my co pilot take step by step pictures of how to do a on the trail axle swap! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] NORM
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 07:59 PM

hey norm, i found a good deal on those 37x12.5R15's MTR's. i found a dealer than can get me them for $146 each. im tempted, but i think i want a SX more. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 08:13 PM

I see them everywhere around here. I think it is because the look like a pretty decent snow tire as well. I wish I could get them now. My wife is determined to see me where my 33's down to the nubs. I'll have to work hard at it this summer. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 08:18 PM

roast them, rotate them, roast them some more. Then you can get new tires. Or better yet send the tires to me and say they got stolen. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 10:00 PM

Goodyears roasting on a beadloc rim, boggers spinning in the mud.....ah the Christmas tunes.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode