Bumper Tire Carrier - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 06:32 PM
birddog1

Bumper Tire Carrier

Starting a thread for the latest inspiration. Will add photos as I progress thru the steps. This one shows a 32 inch tire, altho the math (distance to brake light) seems to indicate it will hold a 36 and I know the design is strong enough to handle the weight of a larger tire. This has two swing outs - one for the tire and propane tank carrier that will slide in the reciver tube that the wheel rests on, and on the left will be a 3 can holder (2 water and 1 gas) mounted on the swing out and an ice chest or other box holder above that. Both swing outs will come off the bumper for whatever reason such as periodic cleaning of the shafts/sleeves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 982069-MVC-021F.JPG (54.4 KB, 89 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 07:09 PM
birddog1

Re: Bumper Tire Carrier

This pic shows how I used the 1 inch shaft and sleeve. I drilled a hole thru the top of the bumper and rested (welded) the shaft on the bottom of the bumper tube, then welded the swing out arm to the 2 inch diameter and 1 inch bored out sleeve (grease fitting tapped, but no bearings - hey Norm, I bastardized your idea, pal!) Loaded up with a 32 inch tire and me on top, the shaft/sleeve seems strong enough. The sleeve and swing out will come off the shaft if I remove the 1/4 inch pin on top of the shaft. Both left and right are designed the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 982101-MVC-018F.JPG (58.1 KB, 57 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 07:23 PM
birddog1

This pic shows the wheel mount. I used standard reciever tubing pinned to the 2x4 tubing with a 1/2" bolt in back to elim. vertical forces and will finish welding it in place along to the top of the 2x4. Angle along the top of the reciever tube to mount the wheel...two auto grade wheel bolts/nuts on top, and a cheap Gr. 5 on the bottom...booger-welded in place (Hacker Pschorr!). The end with the pin in it will hold the propane tank holder I'm gonna make and install in the middle of the wheel/in front of the tire when viewing from rear. The standard reciever tube fits Ford rims perfectly. I pulled the wheel mounts far enough out to handle a 12 inch tire (estimated with my 11.5's) so they dont hit the A-frame or the bottom of the swing out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 982116-MVC-022F.JPG (49.5 KB, 44 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 08:17 PM
birddog1

This pic shows one of the two bumper mounts that are used on both sides of the frame. That little bolt in back is for the shackle (yuppie clipped me...OEM bumper replaced a while back and I guess the dealer drilled out the shackle rivet and used a bolt). I used 1/2" strap all the way back to the cross member and used two 5/8" bolts (plus the 1/2" shackle bolt). On the other side of the frame, I had to drill a 1" "crater" to hold the rivet. Attached the bumper here with a 3/4 Gr8 bolt. You can see the angle iron I used below the frame and will post a pic of that next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 982157-MVC-002F.JPG (52.1 KB, 38 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 08:24 PM
birddog1

I stole one of Juice's concepts after seeing how he reinforced his bumper and after studying Class 3 hitches a bit. I used the existing holes from my CL3 hitch in the frame and pushed about 10-12 inches of 3/8 angle along the bottom of the frame rail. 6 bolts total here ranging from 1/2 to 5/8. The bumper actually sits on the top of the angle that extends along the frame rail and is bolted in place where it rests w/ 5/8" Gr8.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 982165-MVC-006F.JPG (59.2 KB, 32 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 08:41 PM
birddog1

This one shows the mounts on the bumper. The big piece on the left sits on the TOP of the angle iron (attached with 5/8 Gr8) I ran along the bottom of the frame rail and the bolt you see attaching to another piece of angle that is bolted to the SIDE (another 5/8 Gr 8) of same angle iron running down the frame. The piece you see on the right attaches to that 1/2" strap I put on the inside of the frame rail with the 3/4" bolt. Likely overkill, but its heavy and the CL3 reciever is now gone. The bumper itself is attached with (2) 5/8" and (1) 3/4" Gr8 bolts on each side and a buttload along the frame...I told ya I got a sack of bolts for Christmas! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Hey lookit this guy.... [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 982179-MVC-014F.JPG (41.2 KB, 32 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 01:04 AM
Mud in my Veins

Pics

Click on the "Attachment" link above your post, copy the address that appears when you see the pic, go back & edit your post with THAT address in the "image" tags, and you'll see them. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

GEEEEZZZZ!!! Have you weighed all that? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] You're gonna need 1-ton springs to hold it all up! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 03:50 AM
Mud in my Veins

(drool) sure wish i had me a welder [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] might just have to go buy one now that i have loot in the bank... hmmm what did you use to make all them purty gorilla welds? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] oh yeah, do you use something like a 14" chop saw for that type of stuff? can those things rip long pieces safely, or is there another way to cut big plate down? i gotta cut before i weld, so i better figure that out too [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

oh hell yes, new icons! hmmm, let's see:
[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

yeah that'll do it for now [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 05:12 AM

Wow it worked! umm. I mean glad I could help. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] could you give me a close up of your latching devices? I'm going to make a new one that I don't need a 3/4" wrench or a 19mm to open. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Talk about some heavy metal man! I don't think even Steve could beat you for weight. I'm going to be trimming mine down soon. Of course you guys will be kept posted. BTW does anyone know how to reduce the image quality using the software? I know you can reduce it on the camera but I haven't found a way to reduce the picture size in storage space on my software yet. Thanx. NORM [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 10:19 AM

That looks great! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Any chance of getting to see some close-ups of the bumper mounted on the truck? Anything thatll show where it hangs in relation (im curious as to how it compares clearance-wise) to the fenders would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode