New Bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 09:33 AM
Biggie_Truck

New Bronco

I just bought a 96 Bronco (see picture) It an XL 5sp. 39.5 Claws are waiting to be installed after I get this baby lifted.

Thinking now about 8" skyjacker to maintain the autolock hubs and 3" body lift. Has anyone done a 3" body lift on a manual? Concerns are about the shifter extensions mainly.

The D44 Fabritech might be in the cards instead. Going for 12" suspension and forget the body lift and autolocks. Is that a weekend job? This is my daily driver.

Ill be ready to hit the Pine Barrons and looking for Piney regulars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 11:07 AM

Re: New Bronco

Well as far as the body liift goes the clutch linkage will have to be extended by 3 n with a 3 in body lift(the extra peice of steel was supplied with the kit I bought).The shifter for the tranny was ok on mine but I have a 1980 bronco with a t-18 and my transfer case shifter had to be bent aft a little. I wouldnt run 39.5 tires with the independnt front suspension. I would just do the straight axle swap up front for those size tires. do a search there are plenty of threads on the axlwe swap
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 11:28 AM
Mud in my Veins

Don't take this the wrong way, but 12" of lift is a WASTE for a daily driver. You'll be uncomfortable, have gigantic blind spots, and your gas mileage (which is already low) will go to gallons/mile. And 8" of suspension plus 3" of body going onto 38" (actual height) tires will give you about 15" of total lift (stock tires are about 30"). Plus, your autolockers will grenade the first time you try to use 4WD...

If you're gonna be boggin' or trailering it to shows, that would be a good start - but for a daily driver, I'd recommend a more conservative approach:
32x11.50s
K&N
maybe a mild chip
better shocks
maybe a bumper & winch

JMTCW [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 11:36 AM

Don't take it personal, but I have to second Steve's opinion...8" or more??? What about your state's lift laws??

A weekend job for what you are talking about, not likely. Unless you have the help of a friend or two and really know what you are doing (mechanically inclined) and know Broncos.

That tire size is awfully big for stock axles, even swapping out the TTB to a solid 44, that is too much tire for the front and rear, in my opinion.

I don't understand what you are talking about concerning the auto hubs and keeping them. Those are probably about the first thing you should swap out.

If this is your first Bronco or 4WD for that matter, my advice is to slow down a bit, and get to know more about the nice truck you just purchased. A lot of this high lift stuff may not be reversible, and you may not be real happy with what you have done.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 06:50 PM

i agree. if you want to retain the factory auto hubs you need to slow WAY down and think about starting smaller since you oviosly dont know much about broncos.
35's are abuot the max size i would go on a daily driver.
my truck has wide 36's, 8" lift, one ton rear axle, solid front, and tons of other stuff. theres no way a person could drive my truck daily. if you start to wheel it the truck wont be nice to drive on the road all the time. you need to rethink your plans. go smaller, 6" and 35's or 4" and 33's will keep your drivetrain in relative good condition.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 09:55 PM

just FYI for ya......the bottom of your frame rail; cannot exceed 24" in the front, and 26" in the rear. At least, that was what the Pennsy laws used to say. Not sure if they still do. But if so, you can forget about 39's! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 01:29 AM
Shilo

I agree with everyone else. The auto hubs have got to go. Don't expect any of your stock drivetrain or Dana 44 SAS to live all that long with 39.5 Claws.

The Fabritech kit is overpriced, ask Burned [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Plus you're gonna have to re-gear, esp considering that you have the 302.

Unfortunately, you need to re-evaluate your project. You're gonna need to run a smaller tire for awhile or spend your money once and get a full floater rear of your choice. Learn and make friends who can weld, and fab your own SAS. A D60 front would be preferable but if you can't find one a live D44 with Warn shafts and CTM u-joints will be ok, altho it'll set you back nearly as much $$$$ as a complete D60.

Sounds like you're raring to go but you'd be better off to lurk on forums like this for a year and learn all that you can. Sorry for the words of discouragement.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 04:06 AM
Mud in my Veins

that's a pretty bronco you have there, and it would look supersweet on 40's, but i gotta hop on the bandwagon and agree that driving a hawse like that would suck on a daily basis. if you just want to play around somewhere, i'd build a mid-sized trail toy with a V8 and 40's and tear that sucker up on the weekends, and ride home in comfort in a nice tow vehicle. in general, i think trucks with 4-6" lift and 35's look just as sweet as the trucks that touch the clouds on the highway, and they are still very capable with lockers and a winch, so I'd consider that if you dont want to build a trail toy separately. i get tired of the 6" lift and 35's sometimes, even though it's fun "riding high", and the 9mpg doesnt help things much. it's more about safety than anything else though, you'll have nasty blindspots, and inadequate braking and steering for such fat tires, but i cant lie and say that it's never been done before [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 04:48 AM

I love the altitude idea but you had better listen to these folks 'cause they know. I hope you haven't already spent the dough on the big tires but if you have... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Buy yourself some D60s (or bigger [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]) front and rear and regear them to 4.88 or even in the 5's! You need some serious beef to back up those beefs. While your at it you might as well swap out the whole drivetrain to 1 ton driveshafts. But... If it is a daily driver I'd really recomend the 35's as being the biggest you go on the stock drivetrain. Some of us have and have considered (myself included) Bigger tires than that but we know the risk we are running and carry the extra equipment necessary to repair any breakage on the spot. Don't get discouraged. We've all had (have [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) grandiose dreams of our projects and take it one step at a time to get there. If you stay with it you will become addicted. I garantee! NORM
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 07:39 AM

you mean the hunk of junk that im taking out from under there in summer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode