Help: rear window won't work! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Help: rear window won\'t work!

The Search didn't do it for me on this one. Just returned from NY for the holidays and the rear window won't roll down. Extremely fun unloading a fully packed Bronco from the passenger door. Not a sound from the motor when using the switch on the dash or the key on the tailgate. Dunno if the motor's shot, or a fuse blown, ect... Before I go to Ford, what can I do myself to diagnose the problem and maybe take care of it myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 08:50 PM

Re: Help: rear window won\'t work!

First thing I can think of is to make sure the tail gate is closed all the way there is a switch that wont allow you to roll the window down if the tail gate isnt closed all the way
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 09:18 PM
Mud in my Veins

I doubt it's the motor, more than likely it's the dash switch, which is what my problem was. It wasnt too expensive and not hard to replace, so you could try that first and you might get lucky. I think the safety switch prevents the window from going up when the tailgate's ajar, not down, so I doubt that's it. If you want to test the motor, pull the access cover and put +12 and GND to the two wires on the connector at the center of the tailgate and see if it will go down, which I bet it will. Also, search this forum for more specific info, this comes up all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 10:36 PM
froggy

Yup , well I had a problem with a wire was broke. It basically folded in half so much it split . That can happen. Its not gonna be the tailgate key swith or the dash one. It something they have in common.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 11:43 AM
Mud in my Veins

The safety switch on the driver's catch disables the motor entirely, so that IS a possibility, but not likely. More likely it's the motor itself or the ground behind the L taillight (which you can't pull with the t/g up). The best bet is as muddy suggested: pull the access panel & power the motor thru the Red & Yellow wires in the connector attached behind the center divider. If that doesn't do anything (even reversing the polarity), replace the motor.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 10:29 PM
Mud in my Veins

froggy, the tailgate and dash switches both share a common ground through the dash switch, so if its contacts booger up then you will actually lose the ability to put the window up, which is exactly what happened in my case. I figured that out only after pulling the cover on the gate and bypassing the safety switch, with no luck, though I was able to get the window up using the connector back there and my nearby stereo wiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode