CB questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

CB questions

Well here I go again with the questions what should I look for when buying a cb. I will only really use it when I go wheeling to talk to people in the group or to get a hold of park rangers if needed dont ever really get to far from the rangers station the park is only 15000 acres. any suggestions on a cb and anntenna would really help I have absolutly no clue as to what I am looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 04:20 PM

Re: CB questions

For what your use is, just get one on sale, like right now during after christmas. Radio shack probably has one for $40.
They are all probably about 4watt, the max legal. radio shack also sells the fiberglass whip or "off road" steel whip, which is what I use.
I discovered that cable quality matters, as does having an SWR meter to test your setup or finding a CB shop to test it for you. You will also need a mount.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 04:20 PM
Pooh-Bah

Here's a couple old posts to look at. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
CB Brands.
CB Antenna Location.
Hmmm. That's a "pre MT/R" picture. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

hey thanks I only went back 6 months guess I should have gone back farther but maybe there will be some new opinions here this time. but for the most part it sounds like any old cb and anntena would do for my use.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 05:51 PM
Veteran

Just DONT buy a Midland, i will NEVER buy another product from them! [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] POS!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 05:58 PM

Well, yes and no. often the more expensive CB's give you extra gadgets and that's all. Mine has squelch and RF gain controls, and that is all I really needed.

Do a search on internet for CB SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) and do some reading. Trust me, just hooking up the CB to an antenna won't cut it. You will need to pay someone to "tune it" or you can do it yourself if you or someone you know has an SWR meter. I recently did a post concerning this, i.e. effect on SWR of antenna placement, grounding, cable used, type of antenna, length, etc.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 07:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

For what its worth, I have a Cobra 25 with a Wilson 2000 Stainless whip. The radio was peaked, tuned and had upgraded finals installed. I also have a Turner Road King mic on it. I tuned the ant. myself using the instructions in the ant. package. Make sure the ant. mount is well grounded. I have found this is essential. I can easily talk 5-6 miles and have talked 14-15 miles early in the morning. The great thing is I have not spent a fortune on this set up and after doing it right it has been no problem. Good Luck,
Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode