??Fill Plug Borg Warner 1356 Mechanical T-case?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 04:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

??Fill Plug Borg Warner 1356 Mechanical T-case??

Sorry, real stupid question. Anyone know where the fill plug location is on the Borg Warner 1356 Mechanical t-case? I have several shop manuals and searched the web, but see nothing showing the location. All other t-cases in the manuals show the locations but not for this t-case (also its not marked on the casing either). From looking at it, I think the fill plug is located on the reverse side of the t-case and towards the top where the rear shaft enters the case but unsure. I couldnt take it out as it appears the inside head of the allen bolt is rounded out and had no time to mess with it yet. Also, I think the seals have a slight leak so I bought a 24oz bottle of leak eliminator ATF fluid. Would adding this to the recommended Dextron ATF fluid have any negative effects on the t-case? Thanks a lot in advance.
Happy Holidays.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 05:33 PM
BoulderBronco7

Re: ??Fill Plug Borg Warner 1356 Mechanical T-case??

Yes its on the rear side of the case. It is a small bolt that takes a 3/8" drive to take it out. It is just like the plug on your rear axle housing. It is in the middle and only a couple inches from the bottom. Hope this helps. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 06:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the response BoulderBronco7. The plug you mentioned to be the fill plug is a couple inches from the bottom? Are you sure thats not the drain plug you were reffering to? You may be right, as I know nothing about this t-case, but I would like that the fill plug would be higher in the t-case. Is that the location for the fill plug or the drain plug?
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 06:19 PM
Veteran

This had just recently been discussed and yes its on the rear side and the plug on 1356s are aluminum, which means someone probably already stripped it out and now youre gonna hafta drill it out or find a suitable size E-Z out. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
BTW-think boulders talking of the drain one...

Good luck!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 06:28 PM

Broncomania already mentioned the e-z out to help take it out. the case is magnesium, and you should see two bolts in the back side (rear driveshaft side) closest to the rear driveshaft and higher up is the fill plug and way over to the left, near the bottom is the drain plug.

I am not hot on that stop leak idea. can you see where it might be leaking? I guess it probably wouldn't hurt as long as its doing the job of lubricating for the chain. just don't know if would help any.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 06:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks TheJuice, thats what I was thinking were the locations, but hoping that the top one wasnt the fill plug as thats in fact completly rounded out. So gonna try the e-z out route and see if I can get it out. Thanks everyone for the help.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 09:00 PM

by the way, its a metric pipe plug it takes. its 10,11, or 12mm i forget which. inserting the 3/8 drive rachet end is what usually strips them out.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 09:01 PM

I'llpost a pic of mine tomorrow if it'll help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode