'79 F150 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 12:43 PM
joeybcdt

\'79 F150

I found a '79 F150 4X4 I'm considering buying. I have a few questions.
Isn't this the 5/8 ton Ford came out with for a short time to avoid emissions?
What's a 351 Modified? The seller also refers to the motor as a 400.
It has no A/C but has the compressor bracket on the motor and the vents in the cab. How big $$$ a deal to install A/C?

Thanks,
Joey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 12:53 PM
Veteran

Re: \'79 F150

5/8 TON???? Thats a new one on me [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

The 351modified and the 400m are medium size block engines in a class on their own, basically used in fords between 74 to 82 maybe( based off the old cleveland 351s). Yes i could be a 400.
Sounds like someone ripped the a/c out but if the brackets still there, one less item you will hafta locate in the boneyard, what about the idler pulley and hoses. It probably had a York compressor on it, if you dont go ahead and redo the entire a/c system, at least you will have a good starting point for an on-board Air system [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 01:00 PM
Bluebeast

the 351m and 400m are the same basic engines except the 400 gets its extra cubic inches from a longer stroke. all of their patrs are interchangeable because they are the exact same except for the crankshaft. i am not sure on the ac system because i pulled mine off of my 351m and dont use it any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 01:02 PM
joeybcdt

Here's the story as it was told to me. It may be BS.
When the feds started requiring all 1/2 ton trucks to meet emissions they exempted all trucks larger than 1/2 ton. So Ford was able to get around it for a few years with a 5/8 ton. Some called it the "heavy-1/2". '79 would be about the right time I think.

Joey
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 01:10 PM
Veteran

Well, i had a 79 F150 and it had a Cat and the rest of the stuff on it , Does it have 5 or 8 lug wheels???

Why would they do that, they might as well just sell 3/4 tons!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 01:23 PM
joeybcdt

I don't know about the lugs. I haven't seen the truck in person yet. I do know it has a 9" rear and a D44 front. At least that's what the seller tells me. I can't see it till after Christmas.

Ford and GM have done some pretty strange stuff through the years. I'm not sure if this is true.

What was the difference between the F100 and F150 back then? I had a '79 F100 2wd. It was a 1/2 ton with emissions.

Joey
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 07:55 PM

The guy is trying to snow you man. There is no such thing as a 5/8 ton. He probably ripped all the emissions equipment off at one point and is having a hard time selling it now, so he came up with the 5/8 BS. In 1979 the feds required all trucks with a GVW under, I think 8000 (I have to verify this #) to have emissions equipment including a cat, smog pump, EGR valve, unleaded nozzle flap in the gas tank filler neck and the fuel gauge to read "unleaded fuel only". In 79, only F250 and F350's qualified to be emissions exempt.
In the late 70's the only engines Ford offered in 4x4's were the 351M or 400. It's loosely based on the 351 Cleveland. They retarded cam timing 4 degrees from the factory for emissions reasons and it hurt engine power significantly, giving this engine a bad rap. These emgines have extreme power potential if built properly. It uses a big block bell housing bolt pattern, but is technically considered a medium block. The only difference between the 351M and the 400 is the crank and pistons. Block, rods and heads are the same. The valve cover will say 351M/400 under engine family but will say the actual engine size on the next line under engine displacement. 5.8L = 351M, 6.6L = 400.
Regarding A/C, if there is a big black plastic box sticking from the firewall on the passenger side, the truck came from the factory with A/C. If it doesn't and there's just a bare firewall with the 2 heater hoses going through the top, then it didn't come with A/C from the factory and will be WAY!!! too much trouble to convert, TRUST ME!!! The cab is actually different from a non A/C truck to an A/C truck. With A/C, there's a huge flanged hole stamped into the firewall for the evaporator box. You would have to cut one the proper dimensions in the proper location to install the evap box and so on. There's a miriad, of vacuum hoses and such for the door flap controllers, etc. It's way too much trouble.
77 1/2-79 is my neiborhood, so ask away if you have any more questions.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 05:13 AM
joeybcdt

The seller isn't the one I heard about the 5/8 thing from. I heard that maybe 20 years ago. It seems it was a myth.

Thanks for the info.

Joey
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 05:16 AM
joeybcdt

Do you remember what the difference was between the F100 nd F150 back in '79?

Joey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode