Wheels violently shakeing at around 35-50 mph!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 08:48 AM
Bluebeast

Wheels violently shakeing at around 35-50 mph!!!

i have a problem with my truck. when i approach 35 mph the truck occasionally starts to violently shake. this is visible out side as well as inside because the wheel more with it. when i stick my head out the window one can visually see the wheels shaking. retorquing and realigning have not solve this problem. it seems that i have been unable to correct this problem myself and have turned to hopefully more knowledgeable persons for a solution.

i currently drive a 1990 ford bronco. it has a 351 windsor and the e4od transmission. the engine has 135000 miles and the tranny and transfer case are newly rebuilt this summer. the front and rear driveshafts have also been respun and balanced when the tranny was worked on. i have a 6 inch superlift suspension lift with new coils up front and 3 inch blocks under 3 inch add a leafs in the back. i installed the lift my self and have had everything retorqued twice since the installation in august. i have a sigle steering stabilizer and i am running stock gears with 31x10.50R15 goodyear wrangler at/d s. i just installed warn premium manuel locking hubs yesterday and re packed the bearings and retorqued wheels to specs.

if anyone has any possible solutions i am all ears because truthfully i am about tired of this problem. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Ps i was thinking about getting the tires rotated and rebalanced even though they were new in january of 2002.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 10:14 AM

Re: Wheels violently shakeing at around 35-50 mph!!!

Your runnin' 31's with a 6inch lift?! I'm runnin' 31's stock. Sorry I can't be much help, but it might be that you do need the wheels rebalanced, the wieghts could have came off, or could be a bent rim or two? You did say you saw the wheel shaken so it's probably bent.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 01:01 PM
Pooh-Bah

Jack that puppy back up and check all your tie rods and ball-joints.
Also, check for play in the steering gear box.
Something sounds like it's awfully loose. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
<font color="blue">bucknbronc</font color> has a good point too about getting the tires balanced again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 01:06 PM
Bluebeast

i ll go ahead and use ur advice about tightening the stuff underneath it. the reason i dont run 36s is because mom says now and i pay for everything on my truck even the new steering box power steering pump draglinks and 2 alignments and tranny and transfer case rebuilds. but when i look out the window when it is shaking i see the hubs shakeing too.

PS. i just had the ball joints on the passenger side changed and the driverside checked and they were fine
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 05:41 PM
BoulderBronco7

The TTB's are notorious for that. However it is usually with 33" or bigger tires. What will fix that is a steering stabalizer or two. Or you can get the Superlift Superrunner Steering Kit. Before doing this though do what the other guys said an be sure everything is tight.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 08:18 PM

A steering stabilizer wont fix that problem. But if you read it again, youll see that he does have one. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
You do have a drop pitman arm installed, right? If not, that could be the problem right there.
But i have to agree with WD40, its gotta be something in the steering. Check everything in that front-end!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 09:44 PM

Hey you said this only happens every once and awhile right or does it happen all the time is it just on a certain road or different roads and did it just start after the hub change or did it start after the lift or has it been happening since you got the bronco
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 12:43 AM
froggy

Hell check your lug nuts too. I remember one time I got my truck inspected and the asses left a couple lugs lose and they all backed out some and my tire flopped around violently. It really sucked cause of my 38's. Also yeah get a drop pitman arm if you dont have one. I have a 6 inch lift and a 3 inch body and never experienced anything that bad.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 12:45 AM
BoulderBronco7

Sorry. I obviously missed that.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 08:54 PM
Bluebeast

well i do have a 6inch drop pitman arm and my lugs are all torqued to specs gonna go and get tires balanced and rotated sun and then me next step is gonna be tie rods and drag links if still doesnt work then i am going superunner steering. by the way what one of those costs? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] and i was at the creek riding with a friend and we ran came across a bronco with a 8 inch skyjacker and running in between the drop radius arm brakets he had some kind of stiifener. what is this. it just ran betwween the radius arm end nuts.

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode