ATTN BRONCOMANIA - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

ATTN BRONCOMANIA

Here are the pics of how my front bumper is mounted this is how it was when I bought it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 04:42 PM
Veteran

Re: ATTN BRONCOMANIA

So the previous owner just welded that sucker right to the frame [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], but i thought you recently installed the body lift as i read in your photo album but it looks like someone had already compensated for the 3" lift before they welded it on.

Guess it wont help me anyways since the inside of your warn bumper dont look anything like mine, odd [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

But thanks anyways,
Craig
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

It seems as if it was a custom mounting job cause they just had somthing lying around and made it fit the welded their own custom brackets to the frame and then bolted the bumper to it. It works and seems to be strong enough. I guess I will know for sure when I mount the d-rings up there and have to get yanked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 05:01 PM
Veteran

Mine bolts on to the two slotted holes shown in the first photo thru a 1/2" thick plate inner frame which im not sure how i can redrill new holes in [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img], i guess the next tool on my list is an acetylene torch set-up, then i can just blow some holes thru it [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 12:42 PM
Mud in my Veins

Torching it

I'd rather sit on a drill with a bottle of oil in my hand for 1/2 hour than mess with a torch; especially for something that I want as tight as I do a heavy-duty bumper. I either end up with a wallowed-out hole that looks like I used battery acid to make it [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img], or I ruin a few drill bits and at least as many knuckles cleaning it out with the drill, anyway. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] If I drill it to begin with, it ALWAYS turns out perfect and on-target. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 10:18 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Torching it

Steve, then why not weld it to the frame? The guy that offered his shop/welder to me for my new bumper has his built out of 2x6 square tubing, and it's welded to the frame. At first I thought he was crazy, but then I couldnt think of a reason I'd need to take it off, and it'd help prevent frame flex. Now I'm not sure what I want to do, I guess I could do both and then it'd never budge [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 12:10 AM
Mud in my Veins

If it's not welded properly, the frame can get tempered and harden. Then it will crack instead of bend, and you'll have a 200lb cable-propelled projectile, and a truck rolling backward. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I feel much safer knowing exactly how many bolts I put in it, exactly how strong each one is, and that the frame is as strong as it should be. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Plus, I like knowing I can undo it if I ever felt like it for whatever reason. What if you rolled the truck, but bought another and wanted to keep your bumper? Think of the mess you'd make getting it off the old frame and how poorly it would fit on the new one. And how much would you weaken the bumper's mounts when you cut it off? What if you came up with a better design and wanted to save the frame but lose the bumper? What if...? [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 07:08 AM
Veteran

Actually the 1/2" plate brackets are bolted to the rest of the bumper assy, i could just dismantle everything and take the brackets to a machine shop and have them drilled, it would cost more in damaged drill bits drilling 5/8 holes w/a portable drill than the bumper cost me. Im thinking of a small body lift when i get around to replacing my body bushings, and i want the bumper to line up.

btw, Muddy those old Moosey posts fade in & out on me, i didnt even see my own post on it till 2 days later, it just stopped at jeffs88 post. Guess after a year, they get a little weak? [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode