making big bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 09:40 AM
Bocephus

making big bronco

I have decided to start building a bronco from the ground up to use for show and play.I am going to start with a body off resto and add lift,axles gears , etc. as i go.I am wanting to go with a 6 inch stage 2 type lift,3 inch body,cut out flares,38 inch radial tires like pj.dirt grips.I will keep the drive train almost stock except gears,will 5.13 be enough for 38s and a stock efi.302?Not going to be a hard core wheeler maybe take family to sand dunes or trail rides.Any suggestions on what lift or any other part of build up?Thanks Bo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 07:25 PM

Re: making big bronco

5.13's will definitely be deep enough, but i dont think youll be able to fit them into your stock axles. Youll most likely need to do a SAS w/ a dana60 up front, and put another dana60, or 10.25 in the rear
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 07:57 PM
Shilo

You can get 5.13s for the 8.8 and D44 RR, but the pinion will be the size of a small ice cream cone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 08:03 PM

Buy a 78/79 to start with. They already have a D44 up front. If you already have an 80+ then the SAS will take a little more work. Consider shopping for axles and replacing the front and rear from the get go. D60 is the clear winner as far as clearance is concerned. If you want to save some pennys then a Chevy 14 bolt is the ticket for the rear. You will lose some clearance with it but hey! you are gonna be runnin 38s anyway! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It sounds like you definately have some work cut out for you. Build it like you are going to wheel it because believe me once you do, especially in the kind of ring you are talking about building, you will be addicted! Good luck! NORM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 08:43 AM
Bocephus

I thought of going with a 78-79 but around here these broncos are so rotted out it is major bucks to get a body back on them.They also had those awful gas guzzalin modifieds wich means i would have to do a engine\tranny swap wich is a more work then i wanted to do.I could put a dana 60 in back that would be easy enough but what about the front,i dont want to change the ttb to straight axle,$$$$ again.What can i do as far as the ttb44,i know you can do a 8 lug conversion,do you think the 5.13 pinion gear will fail with stock small block power?Also what 6 inch stage 2 lift would you use.I am thinking dick cepek,procomp,superlift,skyjacker,who has best offset radius arms?I may go with 39-18-15 mickey Ts. and I dont want the tires to rub radius arms.Would you replace rear springs or multiple add a leafs with block?I will run torque arms on rear end.Thanks for any info,Bo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode