Howell Injection - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Howell Injection

What do you guys think about this one? Here is the sales pitch: <font color="green"> Universal V-8 Throttle Body Kit

$1,200.00

For converting any V-8 engine from carburetor to throttle body fuel injection. Uses new GM throttle body appropriate for engine size. Operates with or without ECM controlled ignition. Very popular for older street-driven vehicles or 4 wheel drive vehicles with Chrysler or Ford engines. Contains all sensors, components, wiring harnesses, ECM and fuel pump to install fuel injection on your engine. Custom calibration PROM for your engine.
</font color> Heres the website: Howell Injection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 05:36 PM

Re: Howell Injection

Sounds like you oughta ask the company for some references ... preferably in your area !! If they do quality work &amp; back their product ... [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sounds like they've already 'Frankensteined' the setup you've been getting input on from across the board! (Did that make any sense?)
Anyway - I'd be tempted if I was in the market for FI yet.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

The moderator on the SWB Jeep board told me that he has absolutely no gripes about the setup. I'm enjoying this idea more than the Holly Projection. On that setup the guys either loved it or hated it or heard bad things about the bugs. I think this one will work good because it is mostly GM equipment with a custom harness. I'm going to be getting more info via email from the Jeep moderator so I'll keep ya'all posted. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 06:24 PM
Veteran

If you really want to upgrade to EFI, why dont you just find a wrecked F150 88-up with a 5.8 and get everything, the speed density set-ups not the best but i bet it still outperforms a TB set-up and a lot less!
Probably take a lot more time to convert, but better than having a F&amp;k!*g GM part on your wonderful Ford! [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

I use what works. I am currently running a QJet carb because it is the only 4 barrel carb that works offroad without major modification. What do you think Holley's Projection is based off of? I also considered swapping to the Ford TPI but the two guys that I've read up on that have done it have said they would have rather bought an entirely new truck with FI than to have done it again. In the end. Simplicity. GM has run these units with great success for years. If I can buy most of the parts from a wrecking yard including the box, A Howell chip and there wiring harness then guess what? I'll do it because it works and I can have a relatively clean engine compartment as well. Why don't you just start insulting the GM 14 bolt while your at it. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Nuff Said.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 10:54 PM
Mud in my Veins

I dont care how much work is involved, there's no way i'd spend $1200 to put TBI on an old carbed engine when I could swap in a low mileage MPFI 5.8L, esp MAF, for less money and better performance. last time it was mentioned the GM forum didnt have many good things to say about TBI except that it's obviously simpler than multi-port. it's your boat, but you have this forum to help you get though the details, and since Steve has put an EFI engine in an early Bronco, he's got all the gotchas figured out already. apparently the early mustang EFI motors are simpler to swap in than truck engines so that's something to consider. here's a page where they put one in an old 2wd F100:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/5liter.php

and what you should swap in, an EFI 460, here: [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/august2002/swap.php
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 06:37 AM
Old Hand

When I swapped EFI into my 86 from the 89 the biggest problem was rewirind th dash. The earlier models have a totally different wiring harness than the 89 i used as a parts truck. Then the next major problem was PCM placement.

I also added a second smaller case bolted to the fender with my relays in it. I just used a buttload on silicon around the hole for the bulkhead connector and the lid. Survived the swammping with Rep-T last month no problem.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 08:06 AM
Veteran

What about Holleys new Truck Avenger carb?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 10:16 AM
Shilo

Norm, I've got a buddy who runs Howell TBI on his Ford 400. He seems to like it, runs great and seems reliable. I have no idea what he paid for it. When he first set it up he had a small issue with the O2 sensor, but it only affected cold idle as I recall.

I think even the Howell TBI is more flexible as far as accepting motor mods vs stock Ford speed density.

If you'd like to talk to this guy directly I can put you in touch.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to ask if they just make a custom chip for the stock Computer and if so I'll get the TBI and the computer from a wrecker and buy there harness for siplicity. I think this will reduce costs by quite alot. Please don't flame me for thinking of other options. I kind of have a Jeepers mind when it comes to these things. Take what works from all brands and make it work if it is cost affective. My mind changes on tires every week so I don't doubt I'll bounce around a while on this also. The fact is that so far the Howell has gotten the better feedback between it and the Holly Projection. I want something that will work once I get it in and together. I don't want to have to find a laptop to tune there more expensive (reliable) one or play with an lcd display untill it tunes up. I think it is cool that there is more than one way to build the wheel in this case. If Ford produced a decent TBI maybe I'd consider that one but in this case Chevy wins! It's not like I'm taking the 351W with forged internals and swapping it out with a POS 350. But I guess that's just how some people are... [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode