Oil out the dipstick? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Oil out the dipstick?

Why the hell would oil go all the way up the dipstick and leak out. Yes, the dipstick was in all the way, I just checked it when I got gas 2 days ago; but when I checked it today was up about 2inches and wet and smoking on the manifold but the smell is why I noticed it. Also has new PCV valve -checked it --good. I checked oil pressure--normal range, checked with manual # gauge and says 53psi. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. It sounds like way to much pressure to me but i'm stumped. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 07:33 PM

Re: Oil out the dipstick?

Something wants out Slickerthanyou

and it's likely crankcase pressure that's blowing the oil up the dipstick. So your PCV valve is new, could it be a clogged oil breather ? I'm not familiar with 90 models, just my 86's and it's inside the air filter box. It's a cheap change, try it.

As a Canadian I can only guess that Pittsburgh ain't as cold as here, but not as warm as Florida, right ? With that said, it may be too thick an oil for the cooler weather now, just a thought.

Has it been a long time between oil changes ? I got rid of my supposed blowby, by changing my oil many times in a short period of time to clean out the system, worked !

Sixlitre
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

I just changed that little breather. I'm using 5W-30 for winter and straight 50 for summer. I'm such an a$$. I had my air pump venting to atmosphere and the breather vent tube both disconnected (they are both heater hose and sit close to each other) a couple of days to clean and re-oil the K&N when I put everything back together I put the air pump hose to the breather hose. I wasn't even drinking [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. Sometimes I amaze my self with the stupid things I do when I'm in a hurry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 02:00 AM

I tell ya....you just can't make this stuff up [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
That's a good one. I think we all learned something today [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Ya when you work on it you should be drinking [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I know Norm would agree! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode