electrical prblems, help please - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Novice

electrical prblems, help please

I have several electrical problems that I believe may be related. i still haven't gotten my speedometer working. I have replaced the PSOM. No odo either. For quite some time, I have not been able to use my high beams. The high beam indicator is on any time the lights are on. If I put the high beams on, the lights dim and turn yellow. The signal lights occasionally act up, as well. The signal stalk/ dimmer switch has been replaced. I also fry stereo amplifiers in short order and the blower doesn't work for long, on "high". I'm wondering if there is a short, in the harness under the dash. If there's one thing I hate working on, it's wiring. I have no wiring diagrams, or FSM. Does anyone know if there is a common area that the harness will rub/wear, on the '92-'96 Broncos? I don't know if it can be repaired or if it's easier to just replace the whole thing, or if the harness is even the problem. With all of these problems, I'm leaning toward that theory.
Any help is greatly appreciated! [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 11:00 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: electrical prblems, help please

maybe your voltage regulator is screwed and you're getting really high voltage out of the alternator, which is killing everything? that's weird, i dont see how all that could be related except for a major power issue.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 11:40 PM
BoulderBronco7

Wish I could help. I am pretty good with wiring but all that going wrong is just bizzare. The only thing I would say in addition to what Muddy said is to be sure your 2 guage wires are cleanly and securly connected to the battery and not corroded or grounding anywhere. Follow the wires all the way to be sure. Good luck. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 12:01 AM
Mud in my Veins

Loose dash grounds could do all that - I also had a shorted headlight switch wire do some similar stuff. Get a Haynes manual ($12 anywhere) and look at the wiring diagrams in the back. They tell exactly where each ground is and show all the other circuits.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Novice

All of these problems didn't start at the same time. The first to show up was the headlights. The others popped up, one at a time, with the speedo/odo being the most recent and annoying. I'll check the wires by the headlight switch and try to pick up a manual this weekend.
If anyone has any more ideas, please let me know. This all is driving me nuts!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Novice

I was looking at the Bronco today. I had forgotten that I had also replaced the headlight switch. I couldn't see any wires branching off, for a ground. I did trace the harness to a massive plug, going through the firewall. Chances that the plug got coroded, under the hood? I don't see that the plug comes apart. Thoughts? It's right under the steering collumn.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 05:25 PM
SMACDU

Does your Bronco have a multi-function switch? Meaning, does your turn signal lever also act as a low/hi beam, wipers? This past weekend, I worked on a Taurus with this switch and the wipers, turn signals, etc., weren't working. I removed the multi-switch from the steering column, removed the 4 Torx bolts and found a broken wire. Re soldered and it worked. This might be a long-shot for you but I thought I would throw it out to you.

Good luck and let us know when you find the problem.

Shawn
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 07:38 PM
Mud in my Veins

That's the main harness connector thru the firewall. There are a couple of others, too. If you look from the engine side, you'll see a 10mm bolt head in the middle of each. Back the bolt out until it spins freely and you can pull the connectors apart, but you'll lose power to everything when you do. As long as you don't pull the computer's connector, it won't lose power and forget its adaptive strategy - even if it does, it'll just run rough for a few miles while it relearns.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Novice

WooHoo!!
Sorry I haven't been around in a while. Thought I'd let y'all know what I ended up with, on this.
Call me an idiot (Go ahead, you know you want to) I started pulling fuses, today, since I was putting in a tape deck. Some were corroded. One was blown. Funny, how much better the PSOM works when you put in a good fuse! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] The tranny shifts better now, too.
My guages going haywire turned out to be a bad engine ground.
Still haven't found the problem with the headlights, yet but hope they'll get fixed when I get around to putting relays in.
I've made progress, though. I'm happy. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode