Rear Vibration - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 04:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rear Vibration

Hey guys, I Have been trying to figure this one of for some time now. Well When I Hit a certain RPM between about 1000 and 1500, my rear end starts shakin a vibrating like hell, as soon as I get it back up to about 2000 or 2500 it goes away and it drives normal again. I have had the tires balanace, I have dont a front end alignment, and I still dont have a clue where this vibration is coming from. I remember one time when I was flexing my truck, I would hear the skidplate on the bottom of my gas tank scraping on the rear driveline. I can see where the skidplate was rubbing and it might have shaved a little off at that spot. Do you think maybe if i get the rear driveline balanced it might fix the problem?? I thought it was my motor mounts, but i checked them out and they are fine. All of my U-joints in the rear are good also. I have checked all bolts having to do with the crossmember holding the T-Case up and the Tranny Bolts also. The tranny I have is an E40D. I have pulled it out last summer to replace the pump. I also bought a shiftkit for it, but i didnt have the nuts to try it yet. Didnt want to mess anything up. Oh well back to the vibration. The vibration was VERY bad with my thornbirds on, but when i put my small winter tires on, the vibration is not quite as bad, but I can still feel it, and I know the person who wants to buy it from me will feel it as well [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] hmmm It is really wierd. It seems to only happen at about 1000 to 1500 rpms and about 45mph. The last thing i was going to try was balance the rear driveline but i wanted to see if anyone here had any suggestions.. HOPEFULLY!!!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I will have all christmas break to fix it up so im trying to get any suggestions now [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thank guys....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 12:52 PM
BoulderBronco7

Re: Rear Vibration

Sounds like you have looked at almost everything. I would agree that the next step would be to balance the driveshaft. After that maybe look into the housing and diff and possibly the tranny.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 01:42 PM

Check the "teflon" sleeve that is over the male splines on the driveshaft that goes into the yoke. Approximate cost of repair if that is the problem is $125.00. Balance included. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 02:30 PM

bigt150
i had simular vibration from rear.ended up being one of the two u-joints in the double carden joint was beat so i replaced the two and the rear u-joint was fine just greased it until grease came out the ends slaped it together and no more vibration

john b
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 05:29 PM

I suspected a double cardan, as when mine went bad, it vibrated so freakin bad that my whole truck shook while i was driving!
....The only problem is that his bio states he owns a F150, and theyre only on broncos [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 10:30 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: ar Vibration

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
only on broncos

[/ QUOTE ]
Not true. SWB 4WD F-150s got a double cardan in the rear shaft just like Broncos.

I'd go back thru the rear u-joints &amp; the centering ball in the DC, then the yoke nuts on the diff &amp; t-case (unless you have a slip-yoke at the t-case), and the u-bolts for the rear axle. Next, I'd lift both rear tires and spin them up to see if a hub or rim was bent or a tire was blistered. If none of that identified the problem, I'd pull the rear d-shaft, lock the front hubs &amp; go for a drive to see if the vibration persisted.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 01:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steve,

I was wondering what a double cardan Ujoint is?? Is that similiar to a CV joint?? Well I will be replacing all of my rear Ujoints, althought they still feel tight. And I will also check my rear Ubolts, as they have moved once when i was wheeling. Because of my ****ty setup with 5inch blocks in the rear, they shifted a lil once. I will also remove the REar Driveshaft and take a cruise [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I will see if the vibration still occurs. But Even if i do that without the rear driveline, what will that tell me?? That is Definately something in the rear of the truck I guess? Ok wel thank you all for the replies and I will try these ideas as soon as christmas breeak comes for me [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 972135-UploadThis.jpg (71.2 KB, 6 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 11:55 AM
Mud in my Veins

Most people call the double cardan a CV joint, but it has nothing to do with constant velocity. The only reason for the DC is to split the total flex angle between 2 u-joints so there's no binding for high driveshaft angles. It does NOTHING to remedy the changes in rotational velocity inherent to the basic u-joint design.

Look at the front end of the rear d'shaft where it connects to the t-case. If you see a big cast collar with 2 u-joints about 3" apart, that's the DC. Inside, you can barely see the centering ball that keeps the shaft aligned. The u-joints &amp; the ball may have needle-style grease fittings, but you have to disconnect the DC from the t-case to lube the ball.

If dropping the rear shaft cures the vibe, then it's definitely the shaft balance, yoke nuts, u-joints, or DC ball causing it. If the vibration stays, it may still be a rear axle problem like u-bolts, R&amp;P, or wheel bearings. Also, bear in mind that the front axle may have vibrations of its own, so be careful to ID the source if you still feel some vibrations when driving in FWD.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 06:44 PM

Wow, i didnt know the SWB trucks got one too, i figured their wheelbase was still long enough to avoid using one
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 08:59 PM
Mud in my Veins

hey Steve, which pickups have the flange at the tcase and which got the slip joint on the case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode