Is there a way to bypass the EGR valve? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Is there a way to bypass the EGR valve?

Whats up guys?
I was wondering if anyone knows someone who has tried or heard of a way to bypass the EGR valve? (91 5.0L w/ mass air conversion kit)
I pretty much have all the other smog equipment disconnected.
I thought someone way back when said they did it with no probs on a EFI truck.

Thanks,
Jerry D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 12:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Is there a way to bypass the EGR valve?

My 90 EFI Bronco had the EGR valve disabled for about a year with no problems. The exhaust gas pipe was disconnected and plugged, and the vacuum line was also disconnected and plugged. If you do this, it will cause your 'check engine' light to come on though because the sensor will be indicating no change in valve position. When I bought the truck it had all the emmisions stuff disconnected and now I'm getting hooked back up (preparing for smog test, and hopefully better fuel economy).

Why do you want to disconnect it anyway?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 04:50 PM
Old Hand

just cuz it's cool to say "i got no smog junk" and he's a cop so he can do whatever the hell he pleases. That's how he get away with running 40" boggers on the street when jersey has a tire limit of 38".

Anyway I have all my smog crap gone too. I just disconnected the vacuum lines, those tab/tad sensors on the drivers side and pulled all the wires from everything.

Do you want to TOTALLY get rid of it? Like pull the tubes out of the back of the motor and everything? I'm not sure how they run but if you get a look at a junkyard head i'm sure you could just figure a blockoff plate. The easiest way would probaly be a blockoff plate up by the throttle body. Not sure though cuz like i said my stuff is all gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

One of the beauties of being a cop.

By the way...where do you live in Jersey?? Just in case I see you on the road.... [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 06:41 PM
Old Hand

Middletown but i drive one helleuva lot. No matter where i go i can't seem to stay out of trouble though. Maybe cuz my truck has no bumpers/plates with lights illegal tires w/ no flares/tread or bullet holes all over the back. BAH

How much attnetion do you guys pay to cert of stability and tire size? I'm trying to plan my next truck.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Only jackass cops bust balls about lifted tucks.The key is that it has to look good.It can't be some beater all primed out or 4 different colors.Thats when u get stopped.
If it looks good the cops gonna say...."Thats a nice truck" and keep going.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 06:43 AM
Old Hand

You don't know middletown to well. They bust balls over EVERYTHING. My friend had a lowered S-10, done right, one color, nice lookin truck and he got pulled over. The cop asked him for his cert of stability. The truck high centered on 3 inch speedbumps and the cop said that lowered trucks flip easier. He said if her sees the truck in middletown again without a cert sticker on it he would impound it for being an unsafe vehicle.

I live in the worst town for anything but a stock taurus.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 11:48 AM
Shilo

Oh, of course. So it has to be hooptied out with :rainbow: things like moon visor, bug guard, headlight blackouts, chrome diff covers and any other bolt-on accessory sold thru JC Whitney or Autozone. Do chrome exhaust tips help, too?

NOW I understand............ "that's a nice truck."
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Shilo,
Hey,i'm telling ya how it is on my end.Around by me if your truck doesn't look like a "RAT truck" your good to.
Smaller towns have less work to do,so they pick out little things to justify work for themselves.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 01:29 PM
froggy

I agree ther dvldog. Down here we basically run by bumber height. My trucks rear was at 28 and a half inches and the legal height was 29 so i was barely below it. But you see them still stopping people that their vehicles are obviously within those standards or their own weight class standards. The big thing they like to hit on is headlights , even though most reangle them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode