Removing brake calipers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Removing brake calipers

I'm pulling the brake calipers off and I was looking at Steve and Zach's sites for pictures and I have one question. Steve said to </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
[Drive the catches into the slides one at a time

[/ QUOTE ]This seems to be from the outside the rotor. Zach says to </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
by removing the bolt, then punching out the spacer.

[/ QUOTE ] Which to me seemed from behind the rotor. I'm sure either way works but for some reason I'm still not getting it. It does seem that you can just use a punch from behind. Is there a pin inside those slide that help them expand or something? Do I punch out the pins and then the slide? Or is it the same. I just don't want to star hammering on something and then it becomes one more thing to fix :shocked

Well, this is my first 4x4 and the first time I've had to take all of this apart. This means I get to go buy some new tools [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Hopefully somebody can help by the time I get back. Thanks.

Steve and Burned, thanks for the pics that you both have regarding brake, spindle and hub removal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 01:55 PM

Re: Removing brake calipers

Man you are NUKin' this one. Go from the front and drive it out of the hole toward the rear or go from the rear and drive it out the front, both are the same.

The metal is attached to the rubber. drive on one piece of metal a hit or two, then the other.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 05:01 PM
Veteran

I think Zacks refering to the earlier calipers with a spring clip and a tapered bolt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got the caliper off and the spindle. I need to replace the bearing and seal behind the spindle. Now that I have the spindle off it looks like I have to replace the spindle and the outer axle shaft too. Figures...... [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 05:16 PM
Mud in my Veins

You should specify which year caliper you're talking about, but if it's your '91, it should be just like the first few pics in my Brake album. But it sounds sorta like you're talking about the earlier style ('80-83?) that Broncomania described. On both types, it doesn't matter which way you drive the key(s), but it's much easier driving them inboard from the outside.

'95-96 used a floating caliper with slide bolts, which is what pics #14 &amp; 17 in that album show.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 08:59 PM

yes, mine is a 92, but its got 1978 front axle parts.
glad you got it off okay.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 09:49 PM
Mud in my Veins

just FYI, on my truck the hard brake line right off the caliper prevents the driver's side top pin from being driven inward, and it's a beeoch to drive outward for the same reason.... i dont know why it's in the way, maybe it was replaced with the wrong side line, grrrr one more PITA that makes my weekly wheel bearing change a real chore [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 10:32 PM
Mud in my Veins

No, you snagged it on something [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] and bent it a little. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Just bend it carefully out of the way. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] The idea of the shape of that tube is to run the flexible hose very close to the upper ball joint so that there's no change in length as you steer. [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 11:45 PM
Mud in my Veins

hmm, yeah i bet you're right [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] i need longer lines anyway for the SAS, i'll just replace them with some that dont limit my articulation so much [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 11:35 AM
Mud in my Veins

Inarticulate

Yeah, I always hate when I get cross-axle'd and find a F#(&amp;[email protected] brake line holding a wheel off the ground! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode