Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/)
-   -   Removing brake calipers (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/147005-removing-brake-calipers.html)

lookinfurfun 12-13-2002 11:49 AM

Removing brake calipers

I'm pulling the brake calipers off and I was looking at Steve and Zach's sites for pictures and I have one question. Steve said to </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
[Drive the catches into the slides one at a time

[/ QUOTE ]This seems to be from the outside the rotor. Zach says to </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
by removing the bolt, then punching out the spacer.

[/ QUOTE ] Which to me seemed from behind the rotor. I'm sure either way works but for some reason I'm still not getting it. It does seem that you can just use a punch from behind. Is there a pin inside those slide that help them expand or something? Do I punch out the pins and then the slide? Or is it the same. I just don't want to star hammering on something and then it becomes one more thing to fix :shocked

Well, this is my first 4x4 and the first time I've had to take all of this apart. This means I get to go buy some new tools [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Hopefully somebody can help by the time I get back. Thanks.

Steve and Burned, thanks for the pics that you both have regarding brake, spindle and hub removal.

havack 12-13-2002 01:55 PM

Re: Removing brake calipers

Man you are NUKin' this one. Go from the front and drive it out of the hole toward the rear or go from the rear and drive it out the front, both are the same.

The metal is attached to the rubber. drive on one piece of metal a hit or two, then the other.

BRONCOMANIA 12-13-2002 05:01 PM

I think Zacks refering to the earlier calipers with a spring clip and a tapered bolt.

lookinfurfun 12-13-2002 05:13 PM

Well, I got the caliper off and the spindle. I need to replace the bearing and seal behind the spindle. Now that I have the spindle off it looks like I have to replace the spindle and the outer axle shaft too. Figures...... [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Steve83 12-13-2002 05:16 PM

You should specify which year caliper you're talking about, but if it's your '91, it should be just like the first few pics in my Brake album. But it sounds sorta like you're talking about the earlier style ('80-83?) that Broncomania described. On both types, it doesn't matter which way you drive the key(s), but it's much easier driving them inboard from the outside.

'95-96 used a floating caliper with slide bolts, which is what pics #14 &amp; 17 in that album show.

BurnedBronco 12-13-2002 08:59 PM

yes, mine is a 92, but its got 1978 front axle parts.
glad you got it off okay.

muddybronco 12-13-2002 09:49 PM

just FYI, on my truck the hard brake line right off the caliper prevents the driver's side top pin from being driven inward, and it's a beeoch to drive outward for the same reason.... i dont know why it's in the way, maybe it was replaced with the wrong side line, grrrr one more PITA that makes my weekly wheel bearing change a real chore [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Steve83 12-13-2002 10:32 PM

No, you snagged it on something [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] and bent it a little. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Just bend it carefully out of the way. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] The idea of the shape of that tube is to run the flexible hose very close to the upper ball joint so that there's no change in length as you steer. [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

muddybronco 12-13-2002 11:45 PM

hmm, yeah i bet you're right [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] i need longer lines anyway for the SAS, i'll just replace them with some that dont limit my articulation so much [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Steve83 12-14-2002 11:35 AM

Inarticulate

Yeah, I always hate when I get cross-axle'd and find a F#(&amp;[email protected] brake line holding a wheel off the ground! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]