Overheating......But its not??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Overheating......But its not???

When ever i shut the truck off for more than a minute the gauge creeps all the way up past hot. As soon as i start the truck it creeps back down between the R and the M in Normal which is where it stays for pretty much the whole time i drive it. In the summer when i'm really hard on it it may creep up to half of the M but that's it.

I have plenty of coolant and the thermostat is new along with the radiator. I never had this problem with the 89 which had this motor in it with the same thermostat. The radaiotor was put in about 6 month before i bought the truck. The water pump was replaced with a new Ford unit along with the fron cover. The Serp belt is new along with the tensioner. I have half of a fan shroud because of the body lift. The fan clutch was replaced about 1 year ago with a used but good one. All hoses were replaced with OEM hoses and the heat works fine(aside from a leaking heater core, but i'll fix that this weekend when i get paid). The rad cap is new and swapping it with one of the many spares i have does nothing.

Is this a cause for concern? I figure it's caused by the body lift cause i had no problem with the other truck. Anyone else with the same problem? The guy i bought the truck from is no help casue he hated it so he just ignored the squeeks/creaks/clunks/grinding/problems that it had. That's why i swapped everything over with the stuff i couldn't kill in a year of hard driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 11:12 AM

Re: Overheating......But its not???

Thats the fan clucht boy!, i had the same problem, try to rotate the fan whit your hands and you will see, it most be about to break down, buy a hevy duty, that will be a 15 min solution...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 11:29 AM
Shilo

Your gauge should not provide a reading when the truck is off. I mean it might sit somewhere but that doesn't mean it's reading.

But it's possible Ford wired it such that it's hot all the time (not good for long term storage of the vehicle as it could drain your batt). If so, I think this still sounds normal. I'll tell you on any vehicle temps will spike once it's shut off.

I put a REAL mechanical gauge on my van and it'll idle/run at 190 all day long, but once I turn it off the temp climbs to 215.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

It provides the reading when i cycle the key back to the on position before i start it. Like when i get gas i cycle the key back to on after i shut if off to watch the gas gauge move so i have an idea of how much $$ to grab. We have full service in Jersey so legally you're not even allowed to touch the pump at all.

When the truck is off all the gauges fall to 0/low/cold/empty.

How would the fan clutch cause this problem? It cools no problem. Maybe the heat that build up after the WP stops movin? It's been doin since i put the motor in the truck with a body lift so i though that might be part of the problem.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 12:34 PM

I had the same problem with my '86. And believe it or not, it was caused by plugged CAT. The excess fuel needed to accelerate through the Cat was heating up the bottom half of the motor. It used to go so far as to empty itself when you shut off the key. New low restriction Cat solved the problem.
Just a thought...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 12:43 PM
vitaminc

Heat soak

Increasing coolant temperature after engine shutdown is normal. Once the water pump stops circulating coolant, the engine block continues to transfer heat to the coolant (and the outside air) which raises coolant temp. Usually continues for about 10 minutes or so.

Like you've observed, once the engine is started again, the circulating coolant cools quickly.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Re: Heat soak

That's what i figured it was. Just figured i'd ask around to see if i was crazy and make sure it ain't a big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode