OT - Water cans - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 08:14 PM
birddog1

OT - Water cans

It was time to replace the cheap water cans I use for camping and all around use in the summer, so I went looking and bought a couple of the Scepter manufactured 20Liter NATO style cans from Brigade Quartermaster (www.actiongear.com)out in Georgia. These are plastic, tan or olive, and from appearances and heft, very well made. Look to be the same diminsions as the NATO metal cans, so should fit most of the holders out there. $20 bucks each, but these dont leak (yet) like the cheap WMT cans you get for half that.

Needing a new fuel can but not wanting plastic, found Wedco's at http://www.expeditionexchange.com/wedco/indexmain.htm Didnt bite the bullet yet on their price of $40 new since the last one I bought years ago was $3 bucks at a garage sale [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ....anyone got a source for metal gas cans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 10:21 PM

Re: OT - Water cans

You know of Blitz,right? cost about $25 at GI Joes here. they are not as good as the Wedco cans you saw, but again, I made the choice of a decent can for a reasonable price.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 10:37 PM
birddog1

The one I have now is an old Blitz and the rust issue has gotten progressively worse but I guess thats what coffee filters are for. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I'm told the newer NATO cans wont rust as easily and have better caps....hoping someone out there knows of a good source of cheap used ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 04:44 PM
birddog1

Today is my lucky day!!! I found a source for the Wedco 20L gas cans (I wanted a metal one versus plastic) which are superior to any of the other cans out there. Web link is http://midwayautosupply.com/detailed...ption.asp?2245

Midway Auto Supply and they are located right here in Dallas of all places!! $24.99 for red gas or yellow diesel....just had to share it! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] No more coffee filters in front of my rusted Blitz!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 08:01 PM

Just wondering here........NJ doesnt allow you to carry extra gas in containers on the turnpike, any other state like that?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 08:04 PM

Blitz can for sure, speaking the military ahs used them sence ww2
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 09:02 PM
birddog1

They sure have alot of rules up north! I've carried mine strapped with camp gear on a hitch hauler several times across all parts of TX, NM, CO, KS, UT, and AR without any legal interference (DOT approved storage). I built my bumper in Dec to handle 3 cans (water and/or gas)....beats carrying it inside which is definitely frowned upon by DOT.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 09:15 PM
birddog1

Compare the Wedco (newer NATO design) to Blitz and you'll really see the improvement in design over the old style WW2 style can that Blitz still makes. My Blitz has leaked since the time I got it no matter how many times I replaced the seal, required pliers to get the lid off if pressure changed, spewed gas when pouring and even with funnels I seemed to get more on the ground (hate the concept of pollution) than in the tank. My out of commission Blitz is full of rust, but you are welcome to it!! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://store1.yimg.com/I/coolfj40_1728_21288701
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 09:17 AM
Shilo

Ok, I'm glad this came up. First, the problem with Wedco's cans is that they don't have the lower lip like Blitz does, so they won't work with the Con-Ferr carriers. Of course I can't call up a pic of this carrier at either 4wheelparts.com or con-ferr.com right now, but it's such that the bottom lip of a Blitz can rests in a tab, and the upper handle of the can is captured by a tab which tightens down. They're very low profile when no can is installed.

I have one of these but really want to carry water on the trail. So my question is, HAS ANYONE EVER FOUND BLITZ-STYLE CANS WHICH ARE APPROVED FOR WATER???? Again, I need that lower perimeter around the bottom of the can, not the smooth, rounded bottom
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 09:57 AM
birddog1

I know what you are talking about with the bottom edge, but using straps, I'd think little to no rattling, while still holding the can secure. You could always rig up the bottom part to extend the entire depth of the can bottom. Just an idea if you cant find water cans with a lip at the bottom...

I went looking all over for mine back in Dec. but my criteria was different....gas: improved cap and pouring while still meeting DOT regs. water: HD plastic that would take more abuse than the cheap ones I had. Wedco and Spector came up and since I built my carrier, I didnt have storage constraints. Didnt see any surplus units for water that had the lip...consider painting an unused Blitz can blue for water???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode