Opinion for setting up a desert/daily Bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Opinion for setting up a desert/daily Bronco

Well the one mud hole that I always went to is now gonna be houses and there is not any (that I have found within 50miles) places to ride. Having a family that is not into getting muddy is also a hinderance (I forgot to ask before I said I do!). My better half would prefer that I build it for speed more than mud so we comprimised and decided on a desert racer type. I showed her pics of them (be it all pickups) but it got her attention. So I have been thinking of making a desert bronco. I would hope to do most of the work but will leave the VIS (very important Sh!t) to the pros. I want to start with the suspension now I would like to keep a 6 inch lift in the works (no lowriders for this man) but haven't read much on what to look for or what's available. The motor will be the last thing because I just put in the 5.8 a year ago so I'll have to try to blow it up before she'll buy a rebuild. (sike) but i'm more interested about the suspension. What to run in the dirt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 09:25 PM

Re: Opinion for setting up a desert/daily Bronco

How much do you want to spend? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You can go with either a stock type setup with multiple shocks at every corner, or you can do the race-type custom coilovers like King racing shocks. Longer radius arms up front will give you better travel also. Rancho makes some nice ones. You could also do away with the leafs out back and make a 4 link setup too.

Oops, just realized you want to keep it a daily rig also. Sorry, racing in the CORR Pro series I get carried away with all the exotic stuff! I hope some of it helps though!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 10:53 AM

I am also in the process of setting up a daily driver/mild desert Bronco. I'm going to build a 2 link setup in the rear and add 2 side-travel(sway) shocks to my 2 existing RS9000's. The front is getting 4" lift coils, King or Fox remote res shocks on custom towers, and extended heim-jointed radius arms.

Should work pretty good for recreational use and not be too expensive (except for the front shocks). If this project goes well I'll build a 2wd F150 for more serious duty [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Let us know when you start and what your plans are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 11:39 AM

Check out these links
McNeil off-road

Autofab

Now if only I had the money to buy that stuff... [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 04:51 PM

Yeah, I've been drooling over Autofab's Bronco for a few month's now. First I've seen of McNeil...Thanks!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Hey!, very COOL site. I was planning to do a little at a time. but not till summer. By then I'll have enough to do it right! I'm thinking about 2grand and change should get me a fairly good suspension.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 09:54 PM

Explain this two link setup you have in mind. Are you talking about ladder bars with the leafs? If you only used two links and coils I'd think you would tip over. You need that track bar.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 12:54 PM

The 2 link setup utilizes full leafs in stock location, just linking the axle to the frame with 2 "traction" type bars. Extends leaf spring life and helps out a little with lateral stability for off-camber landings. It's definately not as good as a 3 or 4 link setup, but for our mild desert running purposes it's a worthwile improvement over leafs alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode