leaks like a siv - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 05:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

leaks like a siv

What up guys. I have been on this forum for a while now. Not many posts and hardly any knowledge to answer any bodies questions. Whell here is another question for yall to ponder. I have an 82 bronco with a 302 rebuilt with only 30,000 miles on it. I have a massive leaking problem from both ends of my oil pan. Front not as bad as the rear. The front has noticible oil on the pan where it dips. But the main problem is in the rear. I have taken several trips back and forth 2 and three hour trips and have to fill the oil up at least twice going there and twice going back. It runs the pan dry as a bone. And 90% comes from the back of the oil pan. What would yall say could be the problem. That is 10 quarts of oil just one way traveling at about 70 mph. My brother and I replaced the front main seal but still leaks oil in the front. Changed the oil pan gasket and did nothing as a fix. Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 06:10 PM

Re: leaks like a siv

WOW! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Thats alot of oil! [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
If you replaced all the gaskets, and its still leaking, do you suppose the problem could be a warped block? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 06:36 PM
Pooh-Bah

Sounds like the rear main seal is leaking too.
Have you checked ALL your fittings/equipment that go in to oil passages?
i.e:
Oil pressure sending unit.
Fuel pump.
Dipstick tube...where it goes into the pan.

Other places that will leak bad if gaskets were not installed properly:
F/R of intake manifold where it mates with the block.
Valve cover gaskets.
Timing cover gasket.

Best thing, as I'm sure you've read here:
Clean it up, and see if you can't find the source.
Like.....immediately. That's a lot of oil leakage! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:45 PM

thinking about like you rept friend had a warped oil pan we had to striaghten it before we put it back after his rebuild. also are you sure you got the right main seal in his gasket pack it came with a one peice seal but his old one used a 2 peice and we had to go back to the parts house to get it. been working fine since.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:45 PM

Especially on a fresh rebuild. I agree with what has been said rear main. Sounds like you also pinched the front oilpan to timing cover seal. I'd get it fixed fast or all your work will be for nothing.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 07:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey guys thanks for the input so far. I have checked all areas. The only way of finding the leak is by sticking my head under the truck while driving at about 60 mph or faster. While sitting nothing comes out. Ive checked the dip stick tube, valve cover gaskets, replaced all the gaskets infront of the engine plus the oil pan gasket. If the rear main was bad would the flywheel and all the parts in the front of the tranny be soaking wet because the tranny's internals are dry as a bone. The faster I go the more oil I lose.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 10:04 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: leaks like a sieve

There has to be oil all over the front of the bellhousing, so that's probably masking the leak from the rear main spraying inside the BH & dripping out. If you have an automatic trans, set the park brake, chock all 4 tires in front & behind each, and put it in D. Have an assistant THAT YOU REALLY TRUST rev it SLIGHTLY just to the point that it tries to climb the chocks and watch from the side (NOT UNDER THE TIRES) to see if oil starts seeping out with a load on the engine. (You might also chain it to the base of a pole...) Have you checked your compression? How's your PCV & breather filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode