Problem with overheating - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Problem with overheating

Hello all, I'm having a problem with my bronco during initial warm up. After about 10 min. the temp gauge is on the L of normal, within a 30 seconds it drops back to the middle. Periodically it will start to creep back up but never that high and it always returns to the normal range. I replaced the thermostat, flushed cooling system, and the coolant level seems fine with no leaks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 03:23 PM

Re: Problem with overheating

What degree t-stat did you put in and what kind of fan do you have and did you change / check you radiator cap
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

I put in a 195 thermostat, but I did not change my cap, I'll run out and get one. I have the stock fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 04:49 PM
froggy

Humm dunno , I always replace mine with so called performance thermostats. They will fail open instead of closed.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

I didn't catch the parts store in time so no new cap yet. Do think I could have gotten a bad t-stat?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 06:52 PM
Veteran

Also check the operation of your fan-clutch and look at the shaft on the back of it to see if its leaking any lubricant(dirt accumilating around it) a sign its going bad. and you did put the t-stat in the right direction right? [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 09:37 PM

Maybe the thermostat is sticking a little at first and then opens up completely. If it is doing this consistantly I'll bet that's it. Before I changed my last one my heat was going through the roof and then all of the sudden it would even out. Changed the thermostat and it works fine again.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 10:45 PM
Mud in my Veins

the last time i changed my t-stat, i immediately began having overheating problems, so i figured i had probably put it in backwards even though i make it a point to double-check it before i put the hose back on. took it apart and nope, right direction, bad t-stat [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] so i lost trust in t-stats and put it back together without one, which is now catching up with me when it's 35 outside [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] it was a high end one too, but still failed from day 1, so it is possible to have gotten a bad t-stat [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

i wish Ron-Bo and the fun bunch would hurry up and make the electronic t-stat technology reliable... i figure it would be pretty easy to add a manual override to that setup so that if the electronics do go kaput, you can just crank that sucker full open like they're supposed to fail but never do [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Well tomorrow I'll put a new t-stat in again, cap, and check the fan clutch. Thanks for all the help and quick responses, you guys should charge for this stuff [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'll let you know if it works.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 10:27 AM

You can get away with no Tstat if you have a Biiig bumper the problem usually lies in that the coolant goes through the system too fast without one and thus it doesn't have enough time to let the radiator cool it down. I'd think that setup would work better in the winter than in the summer because of the cold. I think It would be a good idea to replace it anyway though. No Tstat is a good emergency fix but I wouldn't want to risk overheating. I'll bet my cousins F250 Diesel Radiator would cool it without the Tstat though! That thing is huge! I like the duel bat setup in those too. Take Care. NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode