Approximation for... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 01:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Approximation for...

Does anybody know the average price for breaks and a new steering column because thats what i need for the Bronc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 02:07 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Approximation for...

are you going to be doing your own brakes? if not, i HIGHLY recommend you learn how to do it! If your rotors and drums are within specs and can be turned, you can completely redo your front and rear brakes for under $100. A similar job at a brake shop will cost you $500... my roommate just had it done on his Mazda 929 and it cost him $450, and awhile back my friend had a full job done on his Cherokee and it cost him roughly $900! Labor is ridiculous for such a simple job, and most places wont bother turning your stuff, they'll just replace it with overpriced stuff and jack the price up even more.... so learn how to do it yourself, it's easy, and you'll save tons of loot. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 07:53 PM

Good advice from muddy on the brakes

You can save a pile of cash doing your own. What you save on labour can be put towards new parts instead of re-machined, if you so desire, you'll still be ahead of the game price-wise.

As for columns, go get one from a wrecker. I was speaking to an insurance adjuster earlier this year and he told me they sometimes write off older vehicles because the dealers usually charge so much for a column replacement from a B&E or theft attampt on your vehicle.

After this scare I went and scored the proper black 86 column, with cruise, tilt and the all important key from a wrecker for $80.00 Canadian (American pocket change).

It was a piece of cake to remove myself. The toughest part was saving the shift indicator cable loop off the speedo, your later Bronco may not have this "gem" of a job to contend with.

Sixlitre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 05:28 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
average price for breaks

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno about the rest of ya'll, but every time I break sumthin' . . . it costs at LEAST $200 !!!

[img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah i'll be putting the breaks on myself, thats why i needed to know the price for them, but thanks...And what about the steering column?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 07:50 AM
Mud in my Veins

Column

A junkyard column will cost $80-150, depending on condition, tilt/non-tilt, &amp; the salesman's mood. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] What's wrong with yours that makes you want to replace it instead of repair it?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 05:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Column

It was messed up before i got it, in the steering column there is this wire i have to pull with pliers while turning the key for it to start, i'm just gonna repair it myself. anyone have any suggestions?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 09:29 PM
Mud in my Veins

Suggestion...

Yeah: take it apart, see what's f'd up, replace it, and put it back together. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Anything else I can help you with? [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode