Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/)
-   -   "??Tranny Grinding Only in 4WD??" (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/146096-%22-tranny-grinding-only-4wd-%22.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 12-05-2002 08:00 PM

\"??Tranny Grinding Only in 4WD??\"

For the first time since having a 3 inch body lift installed I had to use 4wd for the snowfall we just got in jersey. After about half an hour or so of having it in 4wd-high under normal highway driving, I noticed when I down shifted from third to second gear, it would go into gear, but wouldnt stop grinding until I threw it up into nuetral and then back into second gear. This happened quite a few more times. Sometimes it would grind and not stop until thrown into nuetral, and then other times i could downshift into 2nd with no incident. Just before I got to where I was driving, it did it again, so I just threw it back into third and then THIRD gear was doing the same thing. So here I am about to pull off the road thinking that no gears are going to work, when all of a sudden second gear takes with no grinding. The odd thing is that the sifter is fully shifted into gear, and then its starts grinding until I pull it up to nuetral and then try it again. This never happened before and this is the first time I had to use my 4wd since I had the B/L installed, so could it be in some odd way related to being in 4wd and/or the B/L? I dont see how that would affect my tranny operation, but its odd that it started all of a sudden after using my 4wd. I had the B/L on for about 400 miles now and it never happened in 4wd before the lift. Whats going on here?! Help!

1987 Bronco XLT
300cid EFI
4spd M/T
35 inch General Grabber M/T's
K&N homemade CAI
Flowmaster 2 Chamber Muff

**DONOTDELETE** 12-05-2002 08:26 PM

Re: \"??Tranny Grinding Only in 4WD??\"

if you want my opinion....yer body lift has nothing to do with the grinding...id check the clutch,throwout bearing and yer transmission for fluid...even then if everything is ok...get the trans checked out for synchro issues...with the body lift you are only lifting the body....the only thing affected normally would be linkages

BoulderBronco7 12-05-2002 08:41 PM

When you say highway driving how fast are you going? They are not made to go on highway with hubs locked especially with the t-case engaged. I will not do more than 60 with mine locked and thats more than I should. Besides driving in 4wd any over say 30 is almost worthless. As for the noise I agree that it has nothing to do with your body lift. Check fluids and check your front drivshaft for bad ujoints. Test it a bit more with hubs locked, without hubs locked, in different gears, at different speeds, with t-case engaged/disengaged etc. Hope this helps. Good luck.

**DONOTDELETE** 12-06-2002 10:26 AM

Thanks for the responses. Yea, I was going about 30-40 mph max the entire trip on the highway to work. On the way home from work it was grinding quite frequently. So i came to a stop and shifted from 4wd-high to 2wd and no more grinding sounds whatsoever. Put it back into 4wd and before long here come the grinding again, now even coming without shifting at all. It would be driving along and then i'd get a screaming grinding sound outta no wheres. Its definetly has something to do w/ the t-case. I am assuming its gotta be the linkage/lever not being extending/adjusted properly for the increased height of the B/L. I dont know much about t-cases, so is this a quick fix with normal tools or is this something best handled by a shop? Thanks.
1987 Bronco XLT
300cid EFI
4spd M/T
35 inch General Grabber M/T's
K&N homemade CAI
Flowmaster 2 Chamber Muff

80BRONCO 12-06-2002 10:41 AM

Well I just made the hole in my floor board bigger but I wouldnt suggest that I belive you are supposed to bend the handle or the linkage towards the rear. But my problem that I was wasnt with getting in to 4wd high it was getting it into 2wd so I bet it isnt a problem with the body lift

WD40 12-06-2002 11:44 AM

Are you certain the grinding noise is coming from the tranny/t-case area?
Spindle bearings will make the same noise you are describing when they are going out.
Those are the needle bearings in the spindle that the stub axle rides in.
In 2wd they aren't under load, so no grinding.
Put in 4wd, and ya get yer noise.
Just something else for you to check. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE** 12-06-2002 03:46 PM

Thanks everyone. WD40, I was so fixed on it being the t-case that I didnt think of anything else. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] If the spindle bearings are going on me, would it still have the occasional grind like I'm having? At first is was less frequent, but it started getting really bad on the way home that i had to put it back in 2wd. Hoping the grinding occurrences so far didnt ruin anything else on me yet. How can I determine if its the spindle bearings, and what other things should I now investigate for failure or damage? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Thanks!!

WD40 12-06-2002 04:35 PM

Well, from personal experience, when mine went bad, they made a grinding noise on occasion, but just once or twice.
After that it was all the time....which wasn't much.
Like you, I just didn't use the 4wd till I fixed it.
Thought it was hubs, but those were OK on disassembly.
You guessed it.
I had to pull everything apart till I found the suspect needle bearings.

1) remove caliper
2) remove hubs
3) remove outer bearings
4) remove rotor
5) remove spindle

You'll see the needle bearings at the inboard/internal side or the spindle.

Hope ya find out what's going on.
Spindle bearing kits are certainly cheaper than a tranny of t-case fix.

If it were me, I'd put all 4 corners up on jackstands first.
Fire it up, engage 4wd, and track down the exact location of the noise.