Is there a trick to running wires under the carpet - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 06:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is there a trick to running wires under the carpet

I am installing a new stereo in my center console and I want to run the wires under the carpet. What is the best way to do this without ruining the carpet? Should I run a coat hanger under it then drag the wires through? Or should I rip up the whole carpet from the door to the console? Will I beable to lay the carpet back down if I pull it all up? Will I have to unbolt one of the front seats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 07:06 PM

Re: Is there a trick to running wires under the carpet

I am now a pro on removing the interior [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], and its really not that hard to do.
First thing you should know (if you didnt notice already) is that the carpet is sectioned. the cargo area is one piece, and the front cab area is another. So, to remove that piece of carpeting, youd have to remove the plastic trim where you enter, both front seats (4 bolts each), and remove the transfer case boot. The only wires i found under my carpet ran from 1 seat belt to the other, stopping only to go to my seatbelt clip (for that warngin signal). its pretty flat, so youd probably be able to run a coat hanger under there, but put something over the edge of it so it wont snag on the carpet. Ive had my front carpet section up a couple times, and itll go right back in place with almost no effort whatsoever. Also, keep in mind that that hump between the driver/passenger area (where your feet are) is the access panel to get to the tranny, so you dont want to run them over that, or theyll be in the way should you ever need to work on it.
The other option would be to run the wires to the edge of the dash, down, and then in the open track under that plastic trim at the edge of the door.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 08:58 PM
Mud in my Veins

when i pulled my tranny tunnel cover, i pulled the plastic strips in each door jamb and the two kick panel covers off then folded the carpet back. it naturally folds at the front of the seats and console, and you could then just stick the wires under the console fairly easily. If you run them at the ridge below the highest part of the tunnel, you shouldnt have any problem getting the cover off, but leave a little slack "just in case" [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Okay guys thanks for the tips. I have a heavy duty plastic connector with fourteen conductors in it. I'll just put that in in the wire bundel. If I have to open the transmission cover I can detach the stereo wires no problem.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 12:11 AM

If you don't already own one

Go and get an electrician's feece band. It's a flat band of wire that shoves under/through/down anything, no removal required. Just tape your wire bundle to the other end and pull it through.

When I re-wired for the 8 speakers I had to feed all those wires under the rug to the center console, never even had to lift the rug or unscrew a panel !

Sixlitre

p.s./
Big electrical warehouses would probably cut you 6 feet off for free.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 05:50 AM

Re: Is there a trick to running wires under the ca

we call that feece band a fish tape you can get them in different lenghts mostly from 50-200 feetthey work great
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 11:57 AM
Shilo

"Should I run a coat hanger under it then drag the wires through?"

That's exactly what I did when I wired in a center console light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode