How good is this - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

How good is this

Looking at a 96 F250/ diesel(not sure what size). Not sure if it is 4x2 or 4x4 going to look at it today.
My question is he wants about 900 bucks for it. It has 200K miles with a stick. What you guys think.

Oh and this will just pull my trail rig. Is it worth it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 11:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How good is this

900 bucks for a 96 250 diesel? Damn man, I would look really hard for something catastrophically wrong with the truck, cause something like that should be going for upwards of 15K. Hell, if you have the money to spare, buy the truck, fix whats wrong, and make a 12K profit on the deal.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 12:43 PM
Mud in my Veins

yeah Theoretician is right, those trucks even in 2wd form normally fetch 10 grand if in good shape. PowerStrokes will pull anything and last forever, and 200k-250k mileage is common for 94-97 trucks on eBay, which still fetch 9-10 grand! You sure it didnt say $9000? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] That's a fair deal at 9 grand for a 2wd, and a good deal if it's 4x4. (assuming good shape and no mech problems). If you get it for 900, I'll give you 2 grand for it tomorrow [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Okay I went and looked at it yesterday. here is the specs. I was wrong on the year it is a 94. 7.3L diesel. 200K miles stick shift 2WD. The body is in good condition no rust no leaks on the drivetrain. Has the Sterling rear-end. Interior needs to be pressure washed and that ain't a lie. the hood has a little buckle to it but nothing that effects the clsing of it or the view. needs minor crap which ain't a big deal, like new key switch batteries etc. The only draw back is the engine. He said it did not blow smoke but did chew through oil. About 1/2 qt a week. no other problems . Got him down to 800 bucks and yes I said 800 bucks. . I just do not want to buy it and then turn around with a 3000 bill to fix something major. So do I get a thumbs up from you guys.
And thanks for your help
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 12:00 PM
Mud in my Veins

Well it might still be a PowerStroke, or it might be the old turbo, or no turbo at all [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] 1/2 qt is livable if that's the only true problem, but if that's 1/2 qt over 10 miles of driving in a week then something is bad wrong. But since trucks around here with no engine at all cost more than $800, I dont see how you could go wrong, even if you do have to dump 2 grand into an engine overhaul at some point. Keep in mind that with diesels, there are other ways of burning oil besides it getting past the piston rings. I believe there is some common knowledge about injector o-rings failing and allowing oil to seep past them into the cylinders, which is not a big deal to fix, and fairly inexpensive. Which leads me to my next point.... check out www.ford-diesel.com and go to their message board and search for "low oil" or similar, then if you find nothing, ask your same question on their forum. There are tons of folks over there with the older non-turbo 7.3's and the newer PowerStroke turbos. good luck.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Great thanks, that at least makes me feel better about the whole thing. And it wasn't a Turbo just a plain -jane 7.3 L. Like I said thanks for all the info guys Hopefully she will have a new home this weekend.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 12:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good deal for 800 bucks
But the older non-turbo'd Deisel's are DOG's when pulling, very gut-less
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 05:43 PM
FordDiesel

actually, ford-diesel.com had to change to www.thedieselstop.com [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] You can still type in www.ford-diesel.com and be redirected to thedieselstop, but onl untill the New Year, then it's a dead end (I'm a regular there). Ford got a little greedy with it's name. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Anyway, like muddybronco said, there were 3 engins used in 94. There was the idi (Indirect Diesel Injection), the idi turbo, and the Powerstroke (a direct injected turbo diesel) was available in 94.5 but only as a 5 speed. In 95 it became available as an automatic.

You go the nonturbo IDI obviously.

Mudybronco is also right about the injector O-rings. They tend to deteriorate with use and would cause pretty bad oil consumption. Does the exhaust blow blue smoke? It's not a bad fix and Ford has some upgraded O-rings now.
If there are no oil leaks that's the most likely reason.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 08:22 PM
BoulderBronco7

Like these guys said, BUY IT!!! If I had the oportunity to pick up that truck for $800 I would search my sofa for pennies. Even if it needs a new engine you will still make out great. If you don't have the money for a new engine just keep it until you can afford it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode