OT: Mig Welding - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 08:36 AM
SMACDU

OT: Mig Welding

I just got my new MIG welder that I eventually want to use weld new panels on my Bronco. But first I need practice and I thought my first project would be a welding cart. Anybody out there built any cool looking carts that holds the CO2 tank? Have any digital pics you can share? What other cool things can I make for my truck/shop??????

Thanks in advance
Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 03:35 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: OT: Mig Welding

What other cool things can I make for my truck/shop??????
How about a long travel ramp to check your suspension/flex?! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Don't have a picture of any welding carts, but I bet if you search some tool sites you might get an idea.
Here's a couple.
Harbor Freight
Northern Tool
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 05:23 PM

I built one out of a shopping cart that was left out by my shop. Hacked it up and welded it back together to make a great cart for a mig welder. Sorry, no pics [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 09:38 PM
FordDiesel

I made my welding cart too, but dont have any pictures. I also build a metal work bench since my wood one kept catching on fire [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 10:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

speakin of mig-welding.....how hard is it to do and where can i get mig-welding utilities if not a whole setup?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 01:37 AM

I would highly recomend taking at least one welding class so you know what to look for and the different styles and metals used. If you throw caution to the wind then be extremely carefull when welding galvanized metal. The fume's will kill you if you inhale enough of them. Never weld in an area that isn't ventilated. Good luck. NORM
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 05:27 AM

JC i work in south amboy and man there are tons of places around us that deal in welding equipment and theyre all run by competent HELPFUL people. i would definately try to sign up for a class or two at middlesex county vocational school or i think the local community college might have one i havent called them yet, cuz i too am looking for a class. anyhow off the top of my head theres a place called industrail welding supply in sayreville that wont be too far from ya if ya need directions i can get em for ya, check the phone book too there will be a lot of listings in the back for suppliers and such. ill get back to ya on this as far as classes though uz im really itching to get in a class but monmouth couny doesnt offer a beginner course till sept again [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where to buy mig's
http://www.welders-direct.com/merchant2/merchant.mv
(cheapest out there)
For learning stuff, like others said, either enroll in a Local JC class, or get a good book and read it, just buy a mig and teach yourself
Here is some good online mig help info
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/
But go to your local welding shop, find out what size/brand you need, from them, then look up the price on the welders direct site and see if they can match it
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 09:03 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Your only limitation is your imagination .
Thats the first thing I wanted to build is a welders cart and went to Home Depot to get an extension cord and seen HD carts there ( 250lb. capacity) on sale for 35 bucks so bought that to use . I put the time instead into making custom bumpers (front & rear ) . Some welders have mixed opinions on this but I would invest in a good helmut with the auto-darkening lense . It cannot be beat when your doing panels on a vehicle .

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode