gas filter? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

gas filter?

How the F*&%k am i suposed to unattach the conectors of the gas filter (bronco 95) i dont want to use tools coz i dont know how do they work, is there any special way to remove them? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 06:20 PM

Re: gas filter?

go to any auto parts store and get fuel filter tool cost's about 10.00
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 06:42 PM

They sell a tool for that? [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Is it the same as the 87-91 broncos? I used a screw driver to pop the white plastic clips off. The new filter came with replacement ones, so it didnt matter if i broke them or not.

You should bleed off the pressure before you attempt to remove the filter though, otherwise youll spray gas out everywhere when you try to remove it [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Pick up a Haynes Manual (or Chilton), the whole procedure will be explained in there. Its actually pretty easy to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 07:04 PM
BoulderBronco7

I believe the 87-91's are different. The filter is held inside the metal hose via a clip. The tool (which you could probably get for less than $5) slides over the input and outputs of the filter and then slides into the hose to release the clip.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 10:40 PM

That's right. DO NOT go trying to pry it off. All you will do is damage the o rings inside the hose connectors at either end, costing way more than any number of do it yourself filter replacements run.

The "tool" is a stupid little plastic round piece with a slit in it. The slit gets it onto the fuel line right in front of the filter after you have pulled the clip retainer off. Slide the little plastic guy down the line, right into where it connects with the filter, and then pull the line/filter apart (it is pressurized, so be careful, gas will leak out).

Once you have the tool, it is so simple it can be done in 10 minutes. And yes, that stupid plastic tool is a must.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 12:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was reading about this in my Haynes manual the other night (project prep) and was wondering how important that stupid little tool was. I guess this answers my question. Off to the parts store...again.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 06:05 PM
froggy

Well I had an 89 bronco and its simple to do. The clips arent hard at all. Pop em up with your hands if possible and use the new one when reinstalling. Fuel will leak out so have something to catch it. I replaced mine every time i did my oil. They arent expensive and not time consuming. Just good practice.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 06:29 PM
Old Hand

Those are a different clips i think. My 89 F150 had those "duckbill clips". The later ones have to same kind of fitting as the fuel rail conncetion. I screwed one up a few weeks ago.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 06:58 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The slit gets it onto the fuel line right in front of the filter after you have pulled the clip retainer off. Slide the little plastic guy down the line, right into where it connects with the filter, and then pull the line/filter apart (it is pressurized, so be careful, gas will leak out).

[/ QUOTE ]
How can you possibly fit the tool between the filter and the line? I must be retarded because I tried for a good half hour. After giving up, I just pulled the hair pin out with my hands and the line just slipped right off the filter. I need to physically see how the tool is used, anyone got any pics of how to use the tool?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Veteran

Shovel, our earlier EFIs dont need that tool on the fuel lines, just as you did pull the clip and pull is all thats needed...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode