Scared to cut - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Scared to cut

I know I've been saying I'll do it. I just want to make sure I do it right the first time. Is there a way to cut the fenders and retain some of the plastic wheel well up front? Does anyone have any close up pix of fender cutting up front. Do you cut it flush or bend some of it back? I would like some more input even though you all have counselled me in the past. I was thinking of adding a body lift to the 4" Rancho suspension lift I have to help clear 37x13" Boggers (Just as soon as my wife will OK me spending a grand on tires! [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] ) Keep in mind that I do mostly trails, Rocks, and alot of offcamber trails (Lots of sideways here in the Sierras) Thanx again. NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 11:53 AM

Re: Scared to cut

I was also wondering about that myself Norm.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
and alot of offcamber trails (Lots of sideways here in the Sierras)

[/ QUOTE ]
I really don't think boggers would be the best for that type of wheeling. I've heard and seen that boggers don't work too well on offcamber trails that are slick. The tread makes it easy for your truck to slide downhill when you get on it. TSLs or SXs would probably be your best bet for lateral stabability.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 03:10 PM
Mud in my Veins

yeah, how'd you come up with the idea to run Boggers for crawling? those lugs do hook up but i've seen them in action a couple times and i really think the TSLs have better biting ability for rocks. An easier tire to fit and would probably work better is the Q78-15 TSL, which has always caught my eye. It's 35.5" tall, and only has 9.5" tread width, which will make it easier to turn on the rocks, but it also has the deepest tread (27/32") of any TSL minus the 42-44" versions, and deeper than even the 44" Bogger (26/32")! The other good part is that it's $165 apiece vs the $225 for those Boggers, and they'll last longer too. One final note, they mount on factory rims, whereas I bet those Boggers are going to call for at least a 10" wide rim, which is harder on stuff and cost more [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Just a couple opinions from my side, but luckily with swampers they wear out and you get another chance to try something different a year down the road [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ok, just checked Interco's site, those 37x13 boggers only have 22/32" depth but they are 12.2" wide at the tread if you really want a wide tire, but except for mud I think I'd rather have a narrower tire... either way you'll be Swamperfied and I'm sure you'll have fun with them [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

you're gonna have to go to town on those fenders if you want to fit those wide boggers under there, btw! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

I like the boggers because although I do love the rocks desert environment often throws sand and mud my way and most of my wheeling is trail running. That and they look like they would rock in the snow. And lastly (I can't deny this part) They look cool. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Does anybody think the body lift is worth doing?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 06:14 PM

Is anybody going to talk about cuting those fenders I have been thinking about my fender flares and doing some cutting but dont really want to lose my inner fender wells so if someone could please answer about the cutting it would be greatly appreciated.

besides if I cut the fenders a little I can go to 36s. Got to stay in front of rept. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 06:33 PM

hehe, dont worry Tony, as it stands, im not even street legal [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img], so i wont be doing any susp mods or tires changes for a while.

As for the fenders.......
Norm, a body lift does have a ton of disadvantages, but for some reason, i still dont regret getting mine. If you put a 3" b.l. on, i cant see you having any clearance issues. (assume 3" lift, and that your tire will only go further up into the fenderwell by 2 inches). And i cant see it affecting your center of gravity all that much, since all the super-heavy parts (engine, tranny, etc)wont be lifted. But i dont wanna go into the whole good/bad thing about body lifts, cause we'd all be carrying on for the rest of the week. (and thats not the point of this thread, anyway)

But i always wondered.....if you do cut the fenders out, cant you just move the entire plastc fenderwell up? Granted youd have to move alot of stuff, but on a carbed truck, there cant be that much on there. Especially not as much as the later model efi's. In the rear, i dont think youd have to do much of anything to finish it and make it look good.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 08:24 PM

yah you probally could move the fender well up. Cutt fender out but leave like two inches to fold in to make new mounts for the well and it should work.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 09:41 PM
Shilo

see attachment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 961222-innerfender1.jpg (75.5 KB, 51 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 09:47 PM
Shilo

see attachment again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 961227-innerfender2.jpg (74.7 KB, 54 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanx Shilo. Do you have any further back of the whole truck? or from inside the hood?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode