Vent Window - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Vent Window

Came back from Thanksgiving break to find out my BRONCO had a break of its own... a break in. The ****ers stole my brand new timing light, tachometer, amp, and craftsmen screwdriver set. I'm not too mad about the tach (I want a 5" tach anyways) and screwdriver set, but I'm pist off about my brand new timing light that I've just learned how to use.

Anyways, they broke my passenger door lock and then the vent window when they realized they sucked at breaking locks. I'd like to replace the vent window soon as possible before I have to drive home for Christmas vacation. With my luck it will definetly snow if I don't have a vent window. It looks like the easiest way to go about this would to rape a vent window assembly from a yard and just plop it in. Does this sound like a the best idea? Would any 80-96 BRONCO/F-150 work, or should I just look for a 87-91 BRONCO/F-150? Is there any tips or anything I should look out for installing a new vent window assembly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 01:21 PM
Veteran

Re: Vent Window

Do a search here >side vent window replacement< by CAVE2283 about 4 weeks back, Steve has your answers there.

Sorry to here bout it, that sux [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

80-86 windows are different though!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Doh!!! I should have known.

Well as long as I've already posted, what ever the thief did, he fixed my idle problem. The only thing I can thing of is he cut my amp out and my tachometer, which had something to do with my bad idle when engine is cold. My engine check light no longer comes on either (maybe it was a Fairy BRONCO mother that broke in). I really don't think it had anything to do with my amp, so how would my tachometer affect my idle?

I wired the tach to the wire at the coil since I don't have a factory tach, but apparently you can wire it to tach feed at the instrument cluster??? I believe I tried that before the coil and there wasn't any tach feed to be found. Either way the feed would go to the coil wire so I don't see how that could cause a problem, unless there's some resistor or something inbetween the coil and the feed. The power and light go to the fuse box and the ground is grounded to a bolt that connects to the body. A while ago I had a problem with my PIP and the mechanic said it had something to do with the tach, he wasnt specific. Maybe my BRONCO just won't have a tach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 06:42 PM

Bummer about the break in Shovel

We all live in fear we'll be next. Bet you wish you'd surprised them with a shovel ! Mine will never be stolen out of my driveway, but it's just as susceptible to break ins.

Don't discount your amp as the culprit for the poor idle. They draw a pile of power away from the ignition at idle. Mine always did until I stuck that 130 amp Mustang alternator on. Now nothing happens to the idle when the amp is cranked

Sixlitre

p.s./
I made the post 87 window seal fit my 86, but the vent window did look different.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 06:45 PM
Old Hand

I took the seals from my 89 F150 and jammed them in the 86 doors. They're still there and they seal so i can't be that bad.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 07:03 PM

All I know is that the vent window on 92-96's are different. At the bottom, twards the front, its flattened not rounded. Its like ford took the old vent windows and chopped off about an inch of it, then stuck it in.

I take relief in the fact that my truck cannot be stolen due to the factory alarm (it disconnects the ignition when armed), but I only pray that no one decides to break in just to rip something off. If they didn't open a door in the process, my danged factory alarm wouldn't even know anything was going on. Sorry dude!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 07:08 PM

The vent windows on our old e150 ('81) were definitely shaped a little different. You could probably use one, but i dont think it would seal right at the back (the side that faces your door window). Youd probably be better off just getting one from a 87-91 model
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 07:41 PM
Veteran

Guess no one likes to do searches, the rubbers *may* work, its the framing and glass thats a different size, the spacer bar between the vent and side window on a 87-up is much wider than 86 earlier thus the glass is narrower, but if your framing didnt get damaged... [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 07:47 PM

Hehe aerial flare steel line and duct tape. Tape it right in front of your seat on the floor facing out and hook the steel line to the rip line and your door handle wiht about 8 inches slack, some one breaks in and yanks door open. They will be only car thief with no right leg.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 09:33 PM
Mud in my Veins

The glass, its steel lip, and the rubber seal are the same from '80-91. The main vent window frame (including the door glass front track) is the same from '87-96. The rubber changed when they cut the front of the glass off, but the frame stayed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode