Where to mount KC's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Where to mount KC\'s

My parents have been I guess looking around at 4wd shops for something to get me for christmas and found most things out of their price range (e-lockers, lifts, etc), so they broke down and asked me what I wanted. First I suggested a lift, and got laughed at [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]! Then I tried something realistic - 165w 6" round KC daylighters. They seem to be okay with that, due to the price and functionality of them.

NOW TO MY POINT... I plan on getting a grill guard come spring [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] so for now, I don't have anywhere to mount them (except drilling holes in the bumper - big no no). Where do you guys suggest mounting these beasts without creating irreversible damage?

Another question to add more quality to this post - What's on your christmas list this year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 09:35 AM

Re: Where to mount KC\'s

You could always get a light rack for the roof, and put them up there! But then youd have to get at least 4 lights, too (which isnt necessarily a bad thing [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img])

Why not ask for a grill guard first? Tell them you cant mount the lights without it. Who knows, maybe youll get both? [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My christmas list is short- im not askin for anything, especially since what i got for my birthday (tires!)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 11:29 AM

you need to ask for a wet/dry vac for your interior. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 11:43 AM

Good one BurnedB...... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

RepT, could also use the snorkel kit for the truck, and a scuba kit for himself, in case he does get stuck at the bottom of the lake again and has to go swimming to attach his strap. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Just kiddin with ya, Das Boat!!!!

Matteor, what's the biggie with drilling a few holes in the bumper? You can always put 2 black plastic plugs there later. My Hellas were originally in the bumper. And, don't forget, the grille guard takes 4 holes to mount to the bumper.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 11:58 AM
Old Hand

i had to swim to hook the strap but what are friends for??? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 12:39 PM

do what i do rept i buy my own christmas present. then stick it under the tree with my wifes name on it that way i always get what i want and do have to worry about returning it . this year my list is big
new tires 35-36's (i know i just got 33's but now i want bigger)
winch
scope
just not sure which one it will be yet [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 02:52 PM

I agree go ahead and drill the holes

I gave my self an Ingersol Rand 60 gal air compressor for xmas, bad thing is I cant wrap it and put it under the tree. o well
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

My philosophy: Everything I do to the truck should be 100% reversable, so that if I ever get stupid enough to sell it, I can make it look just like what it did when I got it. I can see drilling the 4 holes for the grill guard, because who in their right mind would ever take it off and leave it off. I just don't want to drill 2 holes for lights that are only gonna be there for a few months. I won't like it once I take them and put them on my grill guard and still have holes in my bumper. Maybe I'm just too picky, but sue me. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I didn't ask for a grill guard for christmas because of the generosity of someone on this board who shall remain nameless (yeah right). TheJuice said he was gonna be getting a new one and would let me buy his old one, so I'm holding out for it. I'd hold out for the lights too, but do you know how many times I've needed them thangs.

I believe havack mounted his up near the windshield (or am I thinking of someone else [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]), how well did that work out? IOW, do you have a write up on the brackets and mounting? Thanks for all your help guys!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 05:38 PM

I'll guess that drilling through the roof is totally out of the question then. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I don't think I will ever sell my Bronco. I have always wanted something totally dedicated to Wheeling/Camping. All my mods are about better offroad performance and comfort when out in the wild. I'm not much into pulling into a campground aka city away from the city. Where all the city dwellers park there "SUVs" and scream at each other all night while there kids run around getting into everyone elses business. ... Nuff Said.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 05:53 PM
Veteran

Whats with the second pic in your sig, looks like you already have auxiliary lights mounted on something?

Maybe you could fabricate some kind of aluminum brackets that bolt to the radiator support frame inside the grill and protrude through the two lower outboard grill openings?

Got me, i originally had a 3 pipe chrome brush guard on mine which was installed by the dealer and had my lights on it, but now there on my warn bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode