82 Bronco front axle upgrades? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

82 Bronco front axle upgrades?

I'm helping out a close friend with his 82 Bronco IFS front axle rebuild (brakes, bearings, seals, u-joints, fulid etc.) I am wondering what options are available for upgrades. Things like, heavy duty axles with more splines, heavy duty U-joints, or better locking hubs. I'm not familiar with the IFS, so I'd like to find out now, before the work begins what we could do to the front end, instead of finding out later what we "COULD HAVE" done. I'd like to pretend that the budget is not a problem, but really, the budget is going to use the best combination of parts for the money.
Thanks in advance for the help,
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 09:12 AM

Re: 82 Bronco front axle upgrades?

no aftermarket shafts are available. just put in spicer hardened u joints. the spicer 540's are the strongest affordable joint for the axle.
then put warn premium locking hubs on, and thats about all you can do really.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the input. I was wondering, would it be possible to use custom outer axle shafts (like from Moser Engineering), that are 30 spline with the 540 U-joints? Would you happen to know if Warn offers a preminum 30 spline locking hub for the Bronco. The reason I ask, the current outer axles were beat up bad (mostly due to poor axle service by pervious owners).
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 11:27 AM

i find doing custom outer axles are pointless, beacuse you will then break the inners ears off, which in turn spin aorund and snap your expensive outer shaft. to make custom axles work, you need to do both axles and install some custom u joints(ctms....)
i also dont believe that ford makes any hubs that will fit your style rotor assembly thats 30 spline.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 11:32 AM

It's possible, but would be expensive, becuase none are made for this axle. So, your "order" would be a one-off.

CTM ujoints are another option for the front, though they are very pricey compared to BurnedBroncos option, which is probably the first and best option.

Of course, sooner or later, someone will chime in [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
and mention that if you really want to upgrade, pull out the TTB and go SAS, D44 or D60! Since you're talking custom axleshafts, the D44 swap woould not be all that more expensive. It would require lots of work on your part though. Then you can get alloy axleshafts as an upgrade.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The information here is awesome. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I'm mostly a Jeep person, so I kinda know my way around some of the Dana axle options. I've done some solid axle Dana 30 upgrades for older Bronco's and Jeeps using Dana 44 parts. I had hopes there were affordale (labor / time and $$$) upgrades available for this Dana 44 IFS Bronco. Seems like the best option here is to just rebuild this front end back to factory spec. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Sure would be more fun to work on this axle if I had some cool parts to play with besides the factory grade original equipment stuff. For me, just using the original equipment stuff seems more like being a factory mechanic [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] than the shade-tree mechanical artistry I enjoy doing. Keep the suggestion coming, [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Like maybe a website article on doing a solid axle on a Bronco like this. Maybe this winter I can lay on a cold concrete floor and feel good about it.
dave
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 01:24 PM
Old Hand

Solid D44 This guys has a REAL good writeup on just about everything you could want to beef up a bronco. Check out the rest of this site also.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 05:47 PM

The one upgrade that I recomend is to leave the c clip out of the slip yoke side and shove a chevy 350 valvespring into the slip yoke when rebuilding. You just take an old valve spring available in any engine rebuild shop trash can and cut it down to 1 1/4 inches. The valve spring will ensure that the axle will not walk out of the differential and you now are able to replace any part of the axle that may break without having to drop the pumpkin on the trail. The next advice is (especially if you are going to run any type of locker or oversized tire) get your buddy good at removing the axles and get some spares out of a wrecking yard. I haven't broken one yet but I am prepared in event that it does happen. Take Care and good luck. NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode