Exploding Radiator? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 03:07 AM
HAGGLUNDBV206

Exploding Radiator?

I just replaced the water pump and the fan clutch on my 86 f250 with the 4.9l motor. After I swapped the pump I flushed the system with fresh water, then I drained it and filled the system up with 50/50 coolant, no biggie. But then after I let the motor warm up I noticed it was getting hot again, so I turned on the heater, no heat just cold air. Then just as I was going to turn off the motor I hear a loud boom. The radiator exploded, top and bottom caps actually blew off the radiator. Why? is there maybe a plug in the system somewhere? doesn't make sense. I don't want to get a new radiator if it will explode to. Any ideas? Anyone seen this happen before? This happend to me last winter with my Scout II after I had flushed it, except it blew a heater hose, no big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 07:19 AM
Veteran

Re: Exploding Radiator?

You didnt by any chance put the wrong and longer bolt in one of the waterpump mount holes did you?
I know someone who did and on a 4.9 you can crack the #1 cylinder wall pumping compression in the cooling system.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 11:32 AM
Mud in my Veins

4.9L?

That's wierd... I just had my pump off the other day and all 4 bolts are the same length.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 12:00 PM
Old Hand

That happened to a friend at work ONCE. The first water pump he did on a 4.9 he used his air ratchet to tighen the bolts and one of them went thru the cyl #1. He forgot to put the spacer on the bolt. The guy got a new motor and he got a new job.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 12:59 PM
Veteran

Re: 4.9L?

Thats what i meant by the wrong bolt, it wasnt a waterpump bolt, he wasnt a happy camper when he had to remove the engine to have it sleeved [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 02:56 PM

Oh my god. thats got to hurt when that happens. glad I got it right when I changed mine on the 302 or does this problem just stay with the 4.9l
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 05:04 PM
Veteran

Thats simply a worst case scenario, i personally cant figure out how he could of built up enough pressure in there to blow off both tanks on the radiator, i had one tank explode sitting at a light long time ago (plastic tank) cause it was old and dry rotted even though the truck wasnt hot.

No, 5.0s cant do that however you can crack the expensive aluminum timing cover with the wrong bolts in the wrong place._
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 05:15 PM
Old Hand

Yeah the front covers on the 302/351's $uck. Had the same problem w/ mine and my friends. My new front cover was cast wrong so on edge sat lower than the pan rail and one edge sat higher leading to a HUGE oil leak with the new one piece gasket i decided to install. I just wound up pulling the motor. more better.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 06:48 PM
Mud in my Veins

dont get me started on that front cover [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 07:03 PM
HAGGLUNDBV206

I just pulled the bolts out to make sure and they are all the same. the water pump was the only thing I had off except the fan of course. When this happend to my scout I had finally figured out that the heater core was full of ice, which turned to steam and blew the heater hose. When I flushed this truck out it was close to freezing, but not close enough for me to worry about ice. Anyone think that these caps can be brazed back on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode