Late model Rear disc conv. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Late model Rear disc conv.

Im still thinking theres got to be something that can be done about these s#i&ty brakes this heavy 86 has, Steve83, i know you looked into those rare lincoln rear axles but if im not concerned about ABS & a parking brake( just that it STOPS), what if i got a rear out of a 99 F150 w/4 wheel disc?

Are they still using an 8.8" and are the lugs still 5.5 o/c in a 99?
Would it bolt right up if i found one with the same axle ratio and work with 15" rims still?
Tomorrow morning im gonna be changing my front calipers again [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] but still i know this thing has never stopped well, however i found a nice 4X4 wrecking yard near me(Bronco Dans 4X4 Parts) and next to a mud hole [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]...

Everything else about my truck im happy with, but the brakes? [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 12:14 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Late model Rear disc conv.

Different lug pattern (smaller metric, easy to redrill); caliper too far out (made for 16" rims); different mounting pattern (axle tube larger). [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The short answer is: get a full spring kit for your drums - with new autoadjusters, too. And lube the sliding parts with the recommended grease. Then have the drums turned, or replace them. You might be surprised... [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I did get two packs of those drum brake kits with all the spring & retainer hdwe when i did them a few years ago, but i dont recall if the kits came with the adjusters and yes they are new drums. Anyhow, when i checked the rears a few months ago, the adjusters appear to be ok they are clean and i keep the threads lubricated with anti-sieze, but maybe thats not the best product to use on them?

I dont have budget shoes on it nor the best and i recently installed a new hose on the axle, but still no matter how hard you slam the brakes on, the rear wont lock up...

I do believe *part* of my FRONT brake problems are the result of the rears not working to their fullest potential.
Steve, what master cylinder did you install in your bronco? Im thinking of picking up a master cylinder w/booster from an F350 at bronco dans...[img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 08:47 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: ar brakes

I tried anti-seize for a while, but I didn't like what it did. I don't remember what the correct lube is [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img], but I use high-temp grease.

My autoadjusters seizing caused my fronts to shatter several times, and caused one rear cylinder to hyperextend & leak profusely. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I changed the booster to a newer one, but I still have the cast iron MC for now. I can't give you any input on an F-350 MC swap, but I get the impression it's not a bolt-on. Why not look at ~'93 Bronco MC? The later ones have an additional switch that you don't need.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

STEVE,
I looked up that 93 M/C you suggested and they have a 1&1/16" piston just like F250s have always had, mine (which is the correct one for an earlier F/U 150 still has a 1" piston [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Must be some reason FORD upgraded the size, other than ABS, all the mechanicals are still the same i believe so maybe they knew they were inadequate [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

On the other hand, the 86 booster has a fat body like the F250 booster and a 93 bronco booster is flat as a pancake , does the depth of these things have anything to do with how much extra boost they develop?
A re-man booster for an over 7000gvw F250 is real fat and only $60, but if its gonna make my head go thru the windshield [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], im still gonna look into the rear brakes 1st, obviously its not a lack of pressure to my front since they are overheating...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 03:38 PM

It is possible to upgrade your brake system with 350 parts. Check this out for a write-up on it
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

link not working

reptillikus,

Id like to check that out but i cant seem to get neither of your recent links to work, probably my browser (wives choice [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]),"Lycos" as its full of problems.

May work if i know where to access it directly though [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Craig
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 06:48 PM

Broncomania - can you fab, and weld on caliper mounts? if so, here's a trick you might want to look into
Samurai rotors, and mid 80's Subaru front calipers. the subarus, for some reason, had the p-brakes on the front, and use the same width rotors as the sammys. sammys use a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, and 'hat' style rotors, so they'll slip right onto the ends of your existing axle shafts. using the combo, you'd get 11" solid rear disks w/ cable operated p-brakes that should hook right up to your existing cables. I have no idea how the back-spacing will work for ford rims - I think the Sammys run about 2.5" BS, and their 15" rims clear the subaru caliper acceptably.

$0.02
chris
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 07:10 PM

By the sounds of it you got some air trapped in your rear line. if you dont got antilock then they should lock unless there not recieving enough pressure wich can be caused by air.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 07:55 PM

Re: link not working

broncomania:
thats odd, i dunno why the link wont work for you, it seems to work fine for me. The link is to Brian Soderblom's site, which is "www.soderblom.net/bronco/". Click on his 'tech' link, and from there, click on 'brake system upgrade' in the column on the right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode