Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/)
-   -   Onboard air (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/145331-onboard-air.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 11-29-2002 04:10 PM

Onboard air

Ok...the concept of onboard air is definetly a good thing...now...anyone got any ideas on the best way to do it or the most effective way to do the job....(will be for a 460 setup in a bronco,if it makes a difference)

McDerry 11-29-2002 05:03 PM

Re: Onboard air

use the stock A/C compressor.

BigNorm 11-29-2002 05:07 PM

Here are some links. They are not all vehicle specific but they will give you some ideas on what needs to be done and bought. I haven't done this yet but am hoping to do so in the next year. York1 Bronco Air WT Broco Air I haven't yet found anything engine specific for the 460. I do know that Ford used to run York Compressors in some of its older trucks and vans. I'm not sure what years and motors though. You may have to fabricate or have a bracket made to fit your aplication. everything else is pretty much strait forward. Did you do the 460 swap yourself? Do you have Fuel Injection?

BurnedBronco 11-29-2002 05:07 PM

there are other ways and better ways(in my opinion) to do an OBA. find a 460 out of a van that had the york style pump, and steal its brackets and pump and bolt it right on. the york style has its own lubrication system, and is the square headed style.

86convert4wd 11-29-2002 05:12 PM

A few problems
a Do you have A/C? Does it work?
b Stock compressors have to have an oil return or the compressor will sieze.

Get a york compressor. Cheap easy and they move a LOT of air. I'm in the procces of putting one in my truck. The compressor was $25 w/ a clutch. I'm making the brackets myself out of angle iron and using the stock serpentine belt. I had to get a new clutch to make it work. I'm putting it in the place of the compressor because i cut the a/c out and threw an idler pulley in there. The york will act as a idler pulley now. It can't be that bad to fab a set of brackets for your truck. A few places sell kit but i've never seen one for a 460. I have no idea how your pulleys are set up. The whole system cost about $150 due the the fact that the new clutch alone cost $90. I have a 5 gallon tank in the bed. If you want some pics or more detail just PM me and i'll tell you whatever you need to know. Good luck.

BigNorm 11-29-2002 05:22 PM

Stock AC compressor will work if you buy a tool oiler and make sure you keep it full! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. But for the price you can't beat the York. You can find them everywhere on the cheap. It's the rest of the components that make it work that end up doing the biggest dent in your wallet IMO. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] NORM

BurnedBronco 11-29-2002 05:31 PM

norm, the oil isnt for the tools, its to lubricate the compressor, and i dont think there would be enough pressure to run the oil to the inlet of the round style compresser.

**DONOTDELETE** 11-29-2002 06:01 PM

well....its goin to be carbureted for now....until i can either a)find a 460 EFI and molest it of the components that i need or b)fabricate a setup for MultiPort....and yes i will be doing the swap myself....ill keep you posted

**DONOTDELETE** 11-29-2002 06:04 PM

the 460 i got out of a 86F250....radiator to transfer case....ive seen in broncograveyard.com have 460 mounts to swap right in for either a I-6 or V-8 setups....either way i will be needin a a/c compressor....and if you guys know anywhere i can get CJ heads PM me...

BigNorm 11-29-2002 10:21 PM

That's what I meant Burned. You need a tool oiler on the intake side of the AC pump. Right after the airfilter. I know alot of XJ drivers that use this setup because they really don't have alot of room with that 4.0l up front. It works. Just not as good as a York would.