rear bumper air storage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

rear bumper air storage

I'm wanting to turn my rear bumper into an air tank. What kind of Connectors can I use (gaskets ect) to make this work? I'm thinking of having an air hose connect to the bumper for pressure and having my hook up for tools under the hood. Any and all help as always is apreciated. NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 07:57 AM

Re: rear bumper air storage

just weld in a fitting and screw a quik connect into it, and one air line to it if you want to use it as storage. i assume you welded it tight and should sustain 125 psi.
Zach
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 08:06 AM

what size rear bumper do you have and do you have a onboard air compressor or are you just going to use it like a air tank. If just like a air tank do you think you will be able to air up all tires from 17 psi with it before it emptties just wondering goin to build one my self and want to find out capacities
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 11:17 AM

Should not need any gaskets Norm. Zach mentioned the importance of the weld job done on it. We would assume it has made a completely sealed inner. If not, that is your first priority, since this would need to hold 125 psi. I would also spend a little time figuring out the volume it will hold as compared to say a 2 or 5 gallon or maybe 7 gal. air tank. The fitting you would want would be a standard male type air hose fitting. The rubber air hose that gas stations use is available at like sears or anywhere compressors/air tools are sold. When you drill the hole for the fitting I would also spend some time getting some paint or primer into the inside of the bumper/tank. Condensation can build up, causing rust = bad for your tools.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to be cutting my bumpers for better approach/departure angles and that's when I planned on putting it together when I can drill the hole and make sure it is tight and secure from both sides. I could use some help with what fittings I should buy because I know absolutely nothing about Pnuematic (sp?) connections. If you could tell me what to buy then I could probably figure out the hole diameter ect. from there. Thanx. NORM
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 06:40 PM

norm, weld in a nut that fits the thread size one of these would use.

put the female end onto that so it always holds pressure when theres not a line in it(if you do this though, always put a cover on the end to keep dirt out of it, or do what i do and put the male end in it and have that plugged.

or just weld one of these in and then put a fitting on it.

be shure to use pipe thread compound on all your connections.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 07:12 PM
Veteran

Norm,
1/4" pipe thread is the most popular pneumatic connecter size, but if youre thinking of doing this to run air tools off of, dont waste your time, i dont know how huge your custom bumper may be but i have a 30 gal compressor at home with every type of air tool and even a 1/2" impact starts slowing down drastically after about 30 seconds of run time. Might be ok to fill a tire, but to reinflate a set of 35" tires, i doubt it [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

find yourself a good used york, damn i threw one out when i moved [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

You guys are great! I love you man! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] lol Thanx again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode