New girl here...need advice about my 77 f-250 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New girl here...need advice about my 77 f-250

Howdy! I'm new to this site...and new to trucks. I just bought a 77 3/4 ton...We're puttin' a 429 in it. It has a c-6 tranny that we are going to rebuild. Married 205 transfercase. 6 inch Skyjacker suspension, 3 inch body lift. Triple shocks on the front and duals in the back. A dana 44 open in front, rear is a dana 60 with a posi. Currently the front gear is 4:10, and the back 7:17. It's set up for mudding and off-roading, but I'm not going to use it for that as much, so we are thinking about putting 4:10's in the back too. It has dick cepek 38.5/15.5/16.5 tires. I guess what I want to know is...does anyone have a guestimate of how much it would cost me for parts if I put a 4:10 in, and got a new front drive shaft? And I'm trying to decide between a roll bar and stacks. Is there a way to put both of them and still have it look nice, or is it a one or the other kinda thing? Any ideas for what else I should do to it? I'm just curious about what ya'll have to say. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 11:49 PM
FordDiesel

Re: New girl here...need advice about my 77 f-250

I'd check the junk yards for the drive shaft and a differant rear axle with 4:10's already.

As for the stacks, I think those only belong on diesels. A gasser with stacks is just.....well, not my taste. But it's not my truck either so...............

If you wanted to do both, get or make a roll bar that tucks up close to the cab, then just push the stacks back a little so there's about 1/2" gap or so between the closest points of the roll bar and stacks. That way the stacks have a little room to move if they ever decide to. But if you get them mounted good and tight they shouldnt move much at all.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 12:55 PM

Dana 60 rears with 4.10's are pretty common. It would be a lot cheaper to find one in a bone yard and swap it in, rather than regearing your old one. Check www.projectbronco.com for info on the big block swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 06:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks. I wasn't sure about the stacks...I really like them on diesels, but I dunno about on my truck. One of the guys that is helping me wants to put them on. I think I might stick with the roll bar. And if I get another axle with the 4:10's, could I sell my old one with the 7:17's?? Is there any resale value there at all? It was done not too long ago.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 06:47 PM

eBay baby.....eBay!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There's a Jeeper out there somewhere drooling right now [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode