Borg Warner 1356 OIL flow ?? fill plug stripped - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Borg Warner 1356 OIL flow ?? fill plug stripped

I got the 1356 from the 89 in the 86 but when i went to check the fluid the top fill hole seems to be stripped. I tried to put he 3/8 extension in there and the hole is just huge. I tried teh 1/2 but it didn't fit. I have no problem pulling the case to work in it but what should i do. Get a new housing or a whole new unit? The pick a part by my house wants $350 for a used case HELL NO. I'm not sure about the pull a part but they aren't far behind in their prices. I only ask since i WILL be changind all my fluids and extending my vent lines within a week. I have never even checked the fluid. It makes a bunch of noise but does what i tell it to everytime so i guess it's ok. Ahh one of these years i'll do everything i plan. Not this year.

Also how does the oil flow from the trans to the T-Case? Or do they both have thier own pumps. When i pulled them apart during the swap a little oil poured from the adapter but thats it. Was that from the trans?

The T-Case has about 230K on it so if i have to replace it i'll grab one and throw it in the back untill this one craps out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 04:12 PM

Re: Borg Warner 1356 OIL flow ?? fill plug stripped

That sucks, I'm in the same boat. I think it's my drain plug thats stripped though. Could you drill it out?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 04:19 PM
Veteran

The trick to getting overtightened pipe plugs out is to quickly heat it up with a mapgas or acetylene torch till the plug is cherry red (about 30 seconds) and melt candle wax near the threads. They will usually wind out by hand afterwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 04:41 PM

Bummer 86

The local fastening supply store sells hardened steel square stock. I'd suggest heating up and trying Broncomania's trick, but to wind it out, since the 3/8" extension is too small, try this.

Buy some of the square stock and grind it down until it almost fits. Then drift it into the square hole and wind it out with a 12 point socket or wrench.

Best of luck

Sixlitre
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 06:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same problem on my rearend, and my transfer case. The best thing i found was to get a new plug, and find a real jubky/broken 3/8 extension, shove it in there as best you can, and tack it with a wire welder. The case on the 1356 is magnesium, soi am not sure how it welds, or if it does, but this worked great on my aluminum 1345.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 09:26 PM

Fluid between the two is totally seperate.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 09:38 PM
Shilo

One way or another you can get it out of there, there are some good suggestions here. Thats' technically a 10mm (thanx Ford), but 3/8" is *usually* close enough. Never mind all that once you get it out, replace them with male pipe plugs like this:

As Havack stated, the fluid is totally separate, but it's normal to have some fluid in the tranny tailshaft housing, most autos have a small hole to allow some fluid to get back to the Park gear.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 12:47 PM

The fill and drain plugs in the 1356 should be aluminum. They are in both of mine. I would just dril it and use an easy out. The case is made of magnesium which is probably why they don't use steel plugs. I would replace it with a brass hex head plug and liquid teflon thread sealer so it comes out easy next time. It calls for ATF. I use half ATF and half Lucas oil stabilizer. Quiets em' right up [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 04:29 PM
Veteran

If you have aluminum plugs as MY2ND78 states, DONT heat them at all [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img], they may get even more stuck!
My BW1345 has the external square steel pipe plugs, my apologies [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] didnt realize they stuck aluminum plugs in the later T-cases.

BTW, whats the differences between the manual BW1345 & 1356s ? both were used with all the available motors so they must be somewhat equally as strong i assume...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

The 1345 was used in HEAVY trucks. The 90 250HD i'm getting (as soon as my buddy get his new truck) has a 1345 behind a E4OD. i asked the same question a while back and that was the response i got. The 1356 that i have uses a slip yoke in the rear and the 1345 has a fixed yoke and a slip joint in the drive shaft. I'm not sure about you Bronco guys with the double cardigan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode