about those vent lines? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

about those vent lines?

well, i really want to extend the vent lines for the tranny, transfer case, and both axles, and also the gas tank, i guess i cant put the vent of the gas tank under the hood (im too young to die [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). but now my questions are, should i seal em up o extend them.

if ive got to extend them, where do i put them?, under the hood? (i dont have a snorkel, its a stock truck), i have seem some trucks whit the vents right on the rear bumper, but i guess than higher is better! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]...

if someone knows about a web whit the proyect explained tell me to know about it, thank you guys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 09:44 PM

Re: about those vent lines?

Extending them is best option. Sealing them off would defeat the purpose of the vent hoses in the first place. If i was you I would run the gas tank vent hose under the rear fender so its up at the top of the body. Although some oen else probally has a better location.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 11:41 PM
Shilo

I'd just drape them over your brake booster, that's about the highest point in the engine compartment. Use some sort of a breather so contaminants can't just find their way in easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 11:13 AM
Veteran

I never considered raising mine but maybe i will now after reptillikus`s experience [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] anyway, i noticed my T-case is vented up into the T-case shifter boot, are they all like that and what do you do with the metal trans vent line that points straight towards the asphalt, cut it off at a higher location and attach a hose from there?

I already raised my front axle vent up over the master cylinder cause it used to spit gear oil out when in 4WD for some odd reason and its not overfilled...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 01:42 PM

You can seal them, but expect to start seeing leaks of fluid out of all those things you seal up. The vent lines serve the purpose of normalizing the pressure that can build up as they components are working and heating up.

Go and get some cheap hose, proper diameter, and some hose connectors and maybe some silcone and lengthen the lines up into the engine bay up by the brake booster. You can also find some neat little "hats" that serve the purpose of trapping air at the top so that if you did manage to put them under water, they would not allow water in as easily.

The gas tank one I think is best left at the rear, maybe up into the back area behind the rear light. That is one I did not know was there until recently, so I will be doing this myself.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 03:38 PM

Okay I'm real lazy and haven't exteneded my lines yet. Instead of extending them or sealing them, could I just put a filter on them??? I've seen minature K&N air filters that would work. Would I see any problems with a filter?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:46 AM

Filters would still let water in if submerged. You have to get the ends of the vent lines above suspected water level first.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 12:58 PM

Yep

Shovel, stop being lazy....this is one of the first things that people should do. If you're gonna go put in gears and lockers and such, this should always be addressed.

And, make sure you leave plenty of slack for the line at the axles.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 06:39 PM

Yes people, PLEASE extend your vent lines now!!!!!!

As i said in my other thread, i couldve lost almost everything under the body due to water damage. I extended all of mine up behind the master cylinder, and the amuont of slack in them is equilevant to my (extended steel) brake lines, so theyll never bind either.

Here is a write up that i used as a basis for extending my own lines
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 06:57 PM

when you run the new vent lines get enough so you can bend over the tip into a loop and zip tie the end back onto the hose making like a shepards crook looking loop in the end. If submerged it will trap that foot or so worth of hose full of air. water will still go into the hose but not high up enough to get into the downshot to the axles and such. Only way water is gonna over come the pressure is if you fall through ice into a lake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode