want to convert to 4x4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

want to convert to 4x4

I want to covert my 2 wheel drive 96 F-150 to a 4x4 anyone have any suggestions on how I can go about doing this?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 05:01 PM

Re: want to convert to 4x4

Defintely possible, but itll take some time. 86convert4wd did this in a 86 not that long ago, so he'll be the best help here

But you will need....
front axle
driveshaft
transfer case
different tailpice for the tranny
different rear driveshaft
if you are going to install a manual transfer case, then youll need to cut a hole in your floor. If its an electric tcase, then youll need the wiring for the switches
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 05:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did it with a 84 F150 it was pretty easy. Just make sure you have a good donor truck to take everything off of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 05:36 PM
Old Hand

Get a junk 4X4 truck/bronco. Look for one w/ the same trans/motor to make things simple. My truck was different wheelbase then the donor. You might need the X-member cause the one in the 2x4 was different. ItT was really easy. It only took like 3 days. Heavy but doable with a friend. Getting a donor truck id the easiest way to go though. Driveshafts can be made/adjusted later if you get a donor cheap enought. Swap rears if the ratio is different or you beat the piss out of the T-case. If you need more detail PM me. Good luck.

Also look at the past threads. Someone posted a trans/T-case for sale on Ebay for like $100 or something.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 05:42 PM

Does the 2WD have the same POS crossmember up front that the 4 wheel drives do for the TTB. If not then It might make putting a SAS up there alot easier. Go D60 Dude! Find a smashed up F350 and swap everything out. That's the way to go man. If you have that crossmember I was talking about then you will have to do a min of 6" of lift 8" clears it with no problem I've heard. If not then you can do it with 4" of lift but you will have to cut the xmember to make room and then reinforce it. It sounds like a big project but it is definately doable. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] NORM
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 05:56 PM
Old Hand

Yeah it's the same chitty system. After you get the T-case/trans all done it only 4 (per side) bolt to 4 wheel freedom. Upper spring, shock, pivot,and radius arm. The hardest part was getting the pass side axle shaft into the slip joint. I hung everything except the pivots, slid it in then hung the pivots. While you got everything out REPLACE THE BUSHINGS or you will get real familiar with pulling all this stuff apart. It'll probably be easier to pull the shocks/srings off the arms to move the stuff around.

Unless you get axles with the tone rings on them you will render 4WABS useless. Talk to Steve83 about that though. Not sure of the years.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 08:46 PM

I just converted my 93. It is super easy. Everything just bolts up. I bought a wrecked 96 4x4 for my parts truck. It took 8 hours to switch the front ends. I put my 2wd suspension back on the 4x4 to roll it around. So it should take about 6 hours if you don't put the 2wd stuff on the 4x4.

For the transmission I had to buy one since the 96 had a manual and I wanted to go back with an automatic.

It took 12 hours to put the transmission, transfer case, and driveshafts on. There is basically a template to cut the floorboard out for your manual t/case it you want to use a manual t/case.

As of today I have $625 dollars in the project. And I am selling the motor in the 96 for $800 and still have a few other things to sell off of it. So this project will actually make me money rather than costing me. So about 24 hours (counted hunting parts and research and labor) I will actually make a couple hundred dollars.

People will tell you that this will end up costing you too much money and time and that you should go buy a 4x4, but just plan it out well and it is no big deal.

I only had one problem. The trans I bought had a bad solenoid, and I had to spend an hour and a few quarts of tranny fluid to get her goin again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode