96 Fuel Pump Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 12:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

96 Fuel Pump Problem

My fuel pump is making a humming noise in the tank. Its
getting louder so I wanted to replace it. Both Chilton
and Haynes said to drop the tank, disconnect the
fuel lines using a line disconnect tool and disconnect
the electrical connection, remove the tank and replace
the pump. I dropped the tank, had to use an impact to
break those nuts, and I ran into a major problem. There
was no electical connection. There were 4 wires that
were directly connected to a terminator that was hard
connected to the top of the fuel pump plate. I could not disconnect the electrical connection so I could not drop
the tank. The tank was just hanging there by the fuel hoses and wires supported by a floorjack. I did not want to open the tank with out knowing what I would find while
it was still under the truck. Does anybody know of way to correctly replace this pump? Do I need to open the tank to get to this connection? Anyway, I wound up just reinstalling
the tank with the old pump still in place. That was a lot
of work for no gain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 02:11 PM
Shilo

Re: 96 Fuel Pump Problem

That is a lot of work for no gain... there should be a connector somewhere upstream in the wires. I pulled a tank from a '96 once, but now I can't remember. But yes, the newer rigs are different from the older (late '80s, early '90s) 'cause there's not a connector right at the pump. Worst case you could always cut the wires and re-solder them later. And, FWIW, fuel does not eat heat shrink LOL! I soldered and heat-shrinked the connection IN my tank, didn't like the cheesy piggyback connector they provide.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 04:19 PM

Funny this comes up now...From inside my truck, while running, I hear a pulsing hum which I am suspecting is the fuel pump. Started last week. Is that what yours is doing?

Is this a sign that it will crap out soon, or should I not worry? (70K mi BTW)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 04:29 PM
froggy

You guys sure it isnt the fuel pump thats right underneath you? The external one , itll make a humming noise right when you start your truck.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 04:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whats your milage? Mine has 120K and it did not make
this winny hum 20,000 miles ago. Noise is not a
good indication of a reliable fuel pump. You don't
want it to fail because its a hard fix. Open the
gas cap and you can really hear how bad it is or hold
the point of a screwdriver against the tank and listen
to the handle to get the idea of how bad it is vibrating.
A good carter pump is $152 at O'Reilly's.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 05:34 PM

On my '95, looks to me like the electrical connection to the tank comes out the top of the tank, toward the front of it, wraps down to a frame crossmemeber and right there it has a connector. It is located right above and just to the rear of the pumpkin, attached to that crossmember. It is definitely a disconnect.

somenone mentioned multiple pumps, but on the newer Broncos, I think we only have one in-tank push style pump.

also, when mine went out, it did not just go out. They usually give lots of advance warning that they are not pushing the desired pressure they should be. This results in problems starting, or staying started under extreme conditions, such as very hot weather, high altitude, etc.

Make sure you are changing your fuel filter often.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 11:45 PM
Shilo

Juice is right. '89 and earlier: 2 pumps. '90 and up: single in-tank pump. And if you're buying a single intank pump for $152 I wouldn't trust it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 01:48 PM

Hehehehehe, amen to that! This is one place to make sure you do not buy a bargain pump. Seems to me the pump can be had from Napa for about $230-250, but can't remember exactly.

That's still a bargain though. The dealer wants about $400 to do an intank pump replacement. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 03:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll check for that disconnect tonight, thanks for all the help. I never thought to look there. What's the best fuel pump to buy. The NAPA best is really the same Carter that you can get for $152 at O'Reilly's. NAPA wants wants $210. Is there a better pump out there. This is a lot of work and not a lot of fun. Redoing the front disks and repacking the spindle needle bearings are a lot more fun than dropping a fuel tank.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 03:29 PM
Old Hand

Yeah i hate dropping tanks too. U guys have a 33 gallon tank it the back right? If i got tank straps from a Bronco and a fuel Pump from a Bronco could I bolt one into a truck. The rear tank is only like 19 gallons and dual tanks kick a$$, especially BIG dual tanks that never need to be filled(i'm dreaming i know).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode