Am I headed for a huge repair bill? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Am I headed for a huge repair bill?

We get in the car to go out on Saturday when the wife says "Is the Bronco dripping?" When we get back I crawl under it and sure enough...it's dripping. It appears to be coming from the back of the engine about where the tranny bolts to the block (from what I could tell). The fluid appears to be coolant. It's mixed with crud from passing by crud coated parts, but it's still green in color. I'm sure there is a hundred different places it could be coming from. Any ideas where to start? What kinda cash am I looking at? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 12:27 PM
froggy

Re: Am I headed for a huge repair bill?

Could just be running down the block to that point. Mine leaked from the thermostat housing and ran all the way down to about the same area.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 12:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I just replaced the water pump about a month ago, so I know it's not that. I did look on top, but didn't see anything. I guess I'll have another look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 05:12 PM
Pooh-Bah

How's your weather been?
Cold?
There's freeze plugs on the back of the heads.
Could be one of them.
Clean it up real good, and see if you can't find the suspect area. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

edit
Ohhh, one more thing to check.
The interface between the intake and heads. (at the rear or front of the engine, not in the middle)
If the gasket is worn, it'll develop a leak there as well.
Like I mentioned before, clean that engine up, and see if you can track the leak down.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 07:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks WD40. Yep our weather has been cold...some nights down around freezing. I guess if it's a freeze plug the heads have to come off, huh? I think it's supposed to warm up a little after Thanksgiving. I'll give it a good bath then. I'll check the intake too. Thanks again.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 03:18 PM

Check your heater hoses and clamps. I had a problem with an loose heater hose clamp, that caused coolant to leak on the block.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 03:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just because you replaced the water pump a month ago don't really mean that its ok. You could have gotten a bad one or maybe something you took off is loose. I'd do what WD40 said and clean it up and get a good light and try to track the leak down. Its probably just a loose nut or hose. (Hopefully)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 08:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys. I hope it's just something loose or a bad heater hose. I'd hate to have to pull the intake and/or heads to fix this. I can't afford to be without the Bronco now with winter right around the corner.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 05:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I think I found the source of my coolant leak. It's a leaky thermostat gasket. Now I just have one question...How do you get to the lower bolt on the right side of the water neck? I tried using a knuckle and even an open end wrench but still can't grab the bolt enough to turn it. What's the secret?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 05:20 PM
Old Hand

I pulled the motor to get to mine. I found that is the easiest way. Actually i pulled the motor to do the oil pan, water pump and front cover so i did it then. I bought one a while back and had the same problem so i left in the TO DO pile. I think it would be best to pull the throttle body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode